Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FEA MESH SETTINGS problem

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
ulvi_r
736 Views, 5 Replies

FEA MESH SETTINGS problem

Good day Gents,

I would like to get help in order when to use default mesh settings when not. As I did a structure consist of about 15 frame members and I run calc. with default mesh settings. As a result I got around 175 MPa stress which is acceptable. But then I encreased settings requirements (double) and got 427 MPa Which is not acceptable.

Now my question is how to manage mesh settings. Which one is acceptable?

Thanks in anvance&cheers.

Ulvi.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
blair
in reply to: ulvi_r

One really needs to look at the model and results. As you decrease the mesh size, you can develope extremely small and concentrated stress risers. It could be as simple as applying the load/force or boundry constraint to a single nodal point.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 6
ulvi_r
in reply to: blair

Sir,

That is right. It is a small consentrated stress. In this case is it right to maintain initial mesh settings?

Best regards,

Ulvi.

Message 4 of 6
JDMather

Yasim Younis covers this topic in his book.
It is not possible to answer the question without seeing the analysis.

You migth need to manually refine the mesh.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 6
ulvi_r
in reply to: JDMather

Sir,

I am normally doing handmade calc. for that kind of structures (refer attached zip file). But anyway stress analysis gives more results even with default mesh settings than my calcs. Can you please clarify it?

Additionally i deeply appreciate if you right dawn full name of this book.

Best regards,

Ulvi.

Message 6 of 6
blair

Undeterminable from the PNG file. One would have to look at the actual model and FEA results to determine.

If you seach Amazon.com for books by Wasim Younis, you will find a number on FEA and Dymanic Sim.

http://www.amazon.com/Wasim-Younis/e/B0034PDVP4

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report