Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FEA Lifting problem

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
RobJV
2331 Views, 18 Replies

FEA Lifting problem

I have a fairly "simple" FEA problem that is causing constraint issues for me.  I will simplify the description:  20ft x 6ft steel lid with 6" flanges all around.  The lid has 4 lifting lugs close to the corners that will allow lifting from a single point.  I want to see the affects of the lift through the plate.

I can do the forces by hand but am having issues figuring out where to place constraints to mimic this problem.  If I place a single fixed constraint at bottom face of lid, then of course I don't see the affects of the forces that will be exhibited longitudinally through the plate.  If I use sliding constraints obviously there will not be enough constraints.  This should be quite simple but has me perplexed.  Any idea?  

Thanks,

Rob

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
dan_inv09
in reply to: RobJV

I would probably model chains, but ...

If you fix one lug and have the others sliding, how would that work?

Message 3 of 19
RobJV
in reply to: dan_inv09

Thanks for your response.  I don't see how going through the extra work of modelling chains is going to help me at all though.

I tried fixing one lug and creating frictionless constraints (in the direction of chain pull) on the other lugs and this gives results that seem plausible - I will investigate further.  

Thanks.

Message 4 of 19
dan_inv09

I didn't mean you would have to constrain all the little links, but I would make something to approximate the hook in the lifting lug. Then you could fix the other ends.

Unless the people doing the lifting have some sort of spreaders, the angle of the chains could be a significant factor (and it would change as the thing deformed).

lifting lug resize.jpg

Message 5 of 19
RobJV

Yes - I understand what you are saying about the chain - I will try playing with some way of constraining to see if I can then leave my calculated forces out of the FEA altogether.  I will try modelling a single link as my lugs are d-links that i can then rotate to proper orientation .  (I am also trying to avoid a spreader bar as it will probably not be necessary in my case pending FEA results.)

Thanks.

Message 6 of 19
blair

If you can determine the angle of the lift chains, it's quite simple to determine the force vetor components. Or just model long lift bars/single links to a central connection.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 19
JDMather

@RobJV wrote:

.. Any idea?  

Here is an idea, attach your file here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 8 of 19
RobJV
in reply to: blair

Hi Blair,

That is essentially what I ended up doing.  Thanks.

Rob

Message 9 of 19
RobJV
in reply to: JDMather

I was waiting for your canned response. Smiley Happy  Normally I would attach it but could not in this instance.  Thanks though.

Rob

Message 10 of 19
dan_inv09

But how do you constrain it if you are putting in a lift force?

You have to constrain one (the end of the "chains") or more (see above (if that worked)) lift points and use the force of gravity, dont'you?

Message 11 of 19
blair

Apply forces to the lift points using the "Vector" function as long as you don't introduce Gravity.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 12 of 19
dan_inv09

I understand that, but doesn't it need some sort of a constraint somewhere?

Message 13 of 19
dan_inv09

no constraint.png

Message 14 of 19
dan_inv09

no constraint.png

Now, if you want to simulate what would happen if you're cranking on the crane but some bozo missed one of the bolts, then I can understand using just vectors.

Message 15 of 19
JDMather

@RobJV wrote:

I was waiting for your canned response. ....

Rob

I kept this example very simple, but can't you simply add the 4 corner force vectors directed to single point that counteract the force of gravity?

If it is balanced out (lifting forces and gravity) no constraints needed - simply set to Detect and eliminate Rigid Body Motion.

(the force glyph in the center is Gravity)

Lifting FEA.PNG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 16 of 19
RobJV

Thanks for taking a look.  I ended up modelling a single link of chain on each D-Link lifting lug and just move the link to accomodate different angles of lifting which Dan clued me into.  (I simply show gravity and place fixed constraints on all the chain links.)

You picture shows my initial setup but I could not figure out how to accomplish it without constraints and doesn't your way also require me to precalculate all the force vectors? - I know it is simple in this case but would rather let the computer do all the work  I will examine your way further as well.  I guess if all my "Y" up force vectors equals the weight of the assembly it would work?  

Rob

Message 17 of 19
RobJV

Also, doesn't it complain about lack of constraints regardless or does the setting you talk about take care of that?
Message 18 of 19
dan_inv09

no constraint2.png

Message 19 of 19
dan_inv09

no constraint2.png

I finally found it!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report