Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FEA: IV 2010 Simulation vs Algor DesignCheck

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
whunter
630 Views, 3 Replies

FEA: IV 2010 Simulation vs Algor DesignCheck

Hi all;

I use Suite 2010 and I'm thinking of purchasing either Algor's (now Autodesk) DesignCheck or upgrading to Simulation Suite. I cannot find the technical info on IV Simulation I'm looking for, like the types of elements, constraints and loads that can be applied. I've downloaded DesignCheck, so I can, err, check it out.

I know both of these are just linear, that's fine for what I want to do with it. I have a stand alone FEA package, so I just want to use Sim or DesignCheck to get the first few design iterations out of the way quicker without having to go through the whole model import/clean/apply pre-processing story.

Also, if an ADSK Simulation software engineer/programmer can perhaps comment on the main differences between these two packages, it will probably answer all my questions.

Thanks,

William
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
spec4
in reply to: whunter

I would also be interested in a response from Adesk.

Thanks
JB
Message 3 of 4
herzinj

Hi William!

Thank you for sharing your interest in the Autodesk Simulation solution. If you have any general questions for me on the DesignCheck software that you have downloaded, please let me know! As for how you should move forward, this probably depends on your current needs, as well as how you see yourself advancing with FEA in the future. One important note is that you can not purchase the DesignCheck program, instead you would have to get Autodesk Algor Simulation, which will include the linear static stress analysis as you expect, but also linear dynamics, and steady-state and transient heat transfer analyses. If you are only interested in simple linear statics, you may want to look into upgrading to Autodesk Inventor Professional, which may be able to handle your solid element solutions.

One major difference you will see between the Autodesk Algor Simulation and the Inventor Professional will be the advanced element types availalbe in Simulation. Some of these will include beams, trusses, springs, plates, composites, and gap elements. Each of these solve more quickly than using a solid brick mesh, though each will give a successful solution. The other major difference is that Simulation will be a stand alone package, where as Inventor Professional is built into the Autodesk interface. These would be the main differences between the two, since they both include linear statics packages.

If you do have more questions, please feel free to contact me at AEInbox@autodesk.com, or give me a call at 412-967-2700.

Regards,

James Herzing
https://damassets.autodesk.net/content/dam/autodesk/logos/autodesk-logo-primary-rgb-black-small_forum.png
Message 4 of 4
whunter

Response from Algor Technical Consultant to me (via e-mail), marked with > below, hope others find it useful:

Hi James;

Thanks for the reply. I just want to clear up a few things (my apologies for the "20 questions", but money is involved...)

What you're saying, if I understand correctly (after reading up a bit), is this:
1) DesignCheck, originally by Algor, is now trial only software?
> Algor DesignCheck has always been a FREE, LIMITED, TRIAL software for the Full featured versions of the ALGOR's FEA software.

2.1) DesignCheck is now called Algor Autodesk Simulation (not to be confused with AutoCAD Inventor Simulation Suite)?
> DesignCheck is NOT called Algor Autodesk Simulation. It is Still called DesignCheck.

2.2) Or is Algor Autodesk Simulation a new version of DesignCheck?
> Algor Autodesk Simulation is the new name for ALGOR FEA software in general.

2.3) If Algor Autodesk Simulation is different from DesignCheck in functionality/capability, what is the purpose of the DesignCheck trial?
> DesignCheck is for trial only. It is valid for 6 months.

3) Both AutoCAD Inventor Simulation Suite and Professional Suite gives the same basic linear static FEA capability. The answer to this is, 'yes'? I hope so.
> Yes.

4) Algor Autodesk Simulation is more advanced (i.t.o. types of elements and analysis) than the built-in FEA capabilities of AutoCAD Inventor Simulation Suite and Professional Suite?
> Yes Algor Autodesk Simulation is more advanced than the CAD embedded FEA you get with inventor. Algor Autodesk Simulation has 3 products, please read the capabilities in the following websites for each product:
- Professional Multiphysics (http://www.algor.com/products/Profes1749/default.asp)
- Professional MES (http://www.algor.com/products/Profes1748/default.asp)
- Professional Designer (http://www.algor.com/products/Profes1750/default.asp)

5) Algor Autodesk Simulation is stand-alone, links directly with Inventor native files (i.e., no import/export of geometry is necessary).
> Algor Autodesk Simulation is standalone and works with most of the major cad software such as Inventor, Pro/E, SolidWorks, SpaceClaim, IronCAD, Alibre, Solid Edge, CoCreate, KeyCreator, Mechanical Desktop, Rhinoceros.

6) Can the FEA solver still be run on a GNU/Linux box? I know Algor's products can/could do this.
> Supported Operating Systems for Linux solvers for Algor Autodesk Simulation (not DesignCheck)
* Fedora Core 4 (i386 and x86_64)
* Fedora Core 5 (i386 and x86_64)
* Fedora Core 6 (i386 and x86_64)
* Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS v.4 (i386 and x86_64)
* Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS v.5 (i386 and x86_64)
* OpenSuSE 10.2 (i386 and x86_64)

7) Why isn't Algor Autodesk Simulation listed as a product on ADSK's website, if it is a stand-alone piece of software? I didn't know about it until you told me about it. It is listed in the alphabetical list on the web page as NEW, but I would've expected it to be listed with Inventor, surely? Instead, there is a reference to DesignCheck trial software on the Inventor web page.
> Algor was recently acquired by Autodesk and we are in the integration process. The web page will be streamlined in the near future. Edited by: whunter on Sep 29, 2009 4:57 PM

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report