Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FEA 64 bit problem

45 REPLIES 45
SOLVED
Message 1 of 46
ing
Contributor
1540 Views, 45 Replies

FEA 64 bit problem

We have recently switch from XP to win7. Basically 32 to 64 bit. The simulation results in the 32bit vertion of inventor has always been second to none. But the new (new to us) 64 bit vertion has yeiled some false results. more worriingly the results indicate that the model is in fact good enough to do the job. I have attached a document outlining my findings.

I have contacted my software supplier and they reported it to autodesk. Autodesk has in turn said that the problem is noted but the case has been closed.  I have no problem accepting a minor deviation, even 5% but the results can have an error of 0% to 80%.

If anyone knows a cure or has had this type of trouble, please let me know.

45 REPLIES 45
Message 21 of 46
Ray_Feiler
in reply to: ing

Autodesk 360 link to simulation data.

http://a360.co/1irYgJ3

Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2024
Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
Message 22 of 46
blair
in reply to: Ray_Feiler

received this in my mail this morning: Dear Blair, Thanks for your e-mail. We have created new Case # 08977274 for the below request and we have transferred it to the Product Support team, who should contact you shortly. Best regards, Simona Golisciano Global Customer Service & Operations

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 23 of 46
ing
Contributor
in reply to: blair

Thank you Blair, my autodesk reseller has also contacted me to say that a case has been opened for this particular issue

Message 24 of 46
ing
Contributor

All of the features in the parts are rolled back in your project. Can you correct it and resend it?

Message 25 of 46
Ray_Feiler

You can do that by opening each IPT and pulling down the End of Part marker.

Frame Gen.PNGModel.png

End of Part up.PNGEnd of Part Down.PNG

Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2024
Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
Message 26 of 46
LT.Rusty
in reply to: JDMather

I'm having fun and games with this as well.

I've got a set of parts where I've done the real-world testing and found that it takes X lbf to create a .25" deflection, and the FEA is telling me that it takes X*6 or so lbf to get that deflection, when using Inventor 2013 ... but only about X*3 to get that deflection on 2014.  Oh, and it's also telling me that LDPE is actually about .75% stronger than HDPE.  Haven't run the parts through Sim Mech yet.

I'm using 64-bit software in both cases.  I may download a 32-bit trial version of 2013 and see if there's a difference.

(Data sets are proprietary.  Can't post 'em here, but can share with Autodesk.)

Rusty

EESignature

Message 27 of 46
LT.Rusty
in reply to: LT.Rusty

Lovely. Can't install 32-bit Inventor on a 64-bit machine, and I don't have a 32-bit machine handy to work with. That's spectacular.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 28 of 46
ing
Contributor

I have first spotted the problem with inventor 2013 64 bit. Lol I figured that someone else was going to bring it up. I'm not suprised that you are getting skewed results.

Message 29 of 46
LT.Rusty

Real world results using a semi-generic HDPE gave me a reaction force of 230-250 lbf to cause a .25" displacement.  2014 said 635 lbf.  2013 said 1200 lbf.  2013 says that LDPE should give me about 1300 lbf, too, which is even more interesting.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 30 of 46
ChrisMitchell01

All,

A fix for this issue is being worked on for inclusion in the next update for 2014. That should be released early January. The changes to the FEA results are due to the way that contacts are being calculated differently in 2014, compared to how they were in 2013.

There is a workaround to return to previous behaviour by creating a registry setting:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\Inventor\RegistryVersion18.0\Assembly Stress Analysis]
"WizOutputContactMaxPoints"=dword:00000002

Sample Reg file also attached.

Setting this now will give the same end-result as you will get after installing the upcoming update.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Chris Mitchell
PDMS Customer Engagment Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 31 of 46
ing
Contributor
in reply to: ChrisMitchell01

You guys Rock!! Thank you for this quick fix. This finally puts our minds at ease.

Message 32 of 46
ljordan

I just added this registry key to my machine.  I ran into something interesting myself.  I ran this prior to adding this key, generated a report, and then repeated this after the registry key was added.  The scariest difference that I see is I had a reaction moment on my fixed contraints, as expected, prior to the key, but then after the update I do not have any reaction moment at the constraints!

Please note that "Stress Analysis Report 11_22_2013.mht" is prior to adding key, and "Stress Analysis Report 11_22_2013-revised.mht" is after.

Again, all I did was hit Simulate, close file and Inventor, add key, reopen file, and hit Simulate again. 

Message 33 of 46
ljordan
in reply to: ljordan

Here is jpegs if nobody wants to download the actual files.

Original.JPGRevised.JPG

Message 34 of 46
ChrisMitchell01
in reply to: ljordan

Hi,

Try to ‘dirty’ the simulation first in order to force a re-solve:

1. RMB on the Simulation in the broswer => Edit Simulation Properties
  2. Change the contact tolerance value very slightly from default (e.g. 0.1mm to 0.1001mm or 0.004in to 0.004001in)
  3. OK the changes => this will dirty the contacts, mesh and results
  4. Re-solve

If you want to dirty only the results, change a load value slightly and re-solve.

This info will be included in an upcoming Technical Solution about this issue.

Thanks
Chris

Chris Mitchell
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 35 of 46
ljordan

Thanks! I created a new Simulation altogether thinking that would fix it, but it didn't. I will be honest, I thought you were nuts, but it worked!
Message 36 of 46
QuasiMojo

Are you saying that the solutions are somehow cached?  I cannot just recalculate without little weird tweaks like that?  Re-solve doesn't always re-solve?

Message 37 of 46
Anonymous

THIS IS HORRIBLE!

Now at this moment, thousands of users around the world are performing analyses with not accurate results without knowing anything about it. I do not even dare to think about what can happen around the world now, with designs based on not accurate calculations. The only reason why I am aware of this problem is that a colleague of mine recommended me to take a look at this page.

The only way to handle this, is that Autodesk immediately deliver an update and send out warnings to all the users.

WHY THIS SCILENCE AUTODESK?

Dan

Message 38 of 46
pball
in reply to: Anonymous

Well FEA analysis should always be taken with a grain of salt. I always try doing a simplified calculation by hand to compare with my FEA results.
Message 39 of 46
ChrisMitchell01
in reply to: pball

The "official" fix for is planned for inclusion in the next update for 2014, (early January). That will essentially do the same as setting the registry value documented below.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris Mitchell
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 40 of 46

Chris,

Is there a simple validation problem you can provide that we can run to check that the quick fix and upcoming service pack have indeed fixed this issue?

Randy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report