Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F.E.A. Constraints bonding???

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
grimmtr
785 Views, 6 Replies

F.E.A. Constraints bonding???

I'm a student somewhat new to inventor's F.E.A. Capabilities. I am trying to run some stress analysis on a fiberglass rod attached to a steel end fitting with an epoxy. I have all the material properties,but I run into problems after I have made the assembly. The epoxy cures and hardens so it is attached to the rod, but the end fitting is sprayed with mold release so the epoxy is not truly attached to it. However the shape of the cavity inside the end fitting that the epoxy cures in should hold the rod inside the end fitting. My question is how should these materials be constrained, bonded, or both? 

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Inv_kaos
in reply to: grimmtr

Probabaly a separation contact on the touching faces, maybe Sliding/No Separation depending on the clearances and assumption of small displacements. Have you filled out the orthotropic properties for your fibreglass rod - this is usually the hardest information to source accurately?

Please mark as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question or "Kudos" if you found it useful.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stew, AICP
Inventor Professional 2013, Autodesk Simulation Multiphysics 2013
Windows 7 x64 Core i7 32GB Ram FX2000
Message 3 of 7
blair
in reply to: Inv_kaos

You may wish to model the epoxy to proper fill the cavity of the rod end to your fiberglass rod. You may have a problem with the properties of the fiberglass depending on resin content and your glass strand

Material Specific gravity Tensile strength MPa (ksi) Compressive strength MPa (ksi)
Polyester resin (unreinforced)[4]1.2855 (7.98)140 (20.3)
Polyester and Chopped Strand Mat Laminate 30% E-glass[4]1.4100 (14.5)150 (21.8)
Polyester and Woven Rovings Laminate 45% E-glass[4]1.6250 (36.3)150 (21.8)
Polyester and Satin Weave Cloth Laminate 55% E-glass[4]1.7300 (43.5)250 (36.3)
Polyester and Continuous Rovings Laminate 70% E-glass[4]1.9800 (116)350 (50.8)
E-Glass Epoxy composite[5]1.991,770 (257) 
S-Glass Epoxy composite[5]1.952,358 (342)

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 4 of 7
blair
in reply to: blair

The table of properties really doesn't post well.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 7
grimmtr

I have the material specs and filled out the orthotropic properties of the rod. I am more or less doing an unoffical internship for a consultant I know, and he wanted to know if I could use FEA to test a part for him. Just tring to learn as I go. The sliding no seperation seems like it would work for the way I designed the assembly. I will try and see what I get.

Message 6 of 7
grimmtr
in reply to: Inv_kaos

Ok I tried to use the sliding/ no separation contact  and I am having problems selecting the surface I want. The Contact is internal between the epoxy and the endfitting. Any suggestions on how to select these surfaces would be appreciated.

Message 7 of 7
blair

I do most of my assembly FEA work in Mech Sim, I would have just applied the default contact bonded. Have you had any luck using the scroll select after letting the mouse hover over the region for a bit until the select other dialogue box appears

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report