Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extrude around a curved surface

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Talayoe
10542 Views, 3 Replies

Extrude around a curved surface

Hello all,

I have a cylinder that has for lack of a better word, a zig zaged slot milled into the outside of it thru to the bore. I am unsure how to go about drawing this so I can get it to extrude correctly around the part.

From other cad software history, I could draw it on a straight plane and tell it wrap around the part of whatever diameter. But, since I have not attempted this in Inventor I dont know if this exists.

Just for reference, this is a twist lock device. Turn the cylinder, advance a key the is inside the zig zag advancing or retracting the part that is inside the bore attached to said key.

TIA! 🙂

-Randy

----------------------
Inventor 2017 PDS
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: Talayoe

@Talayoe wrote:

From other cad software history, I could draw it on a straight plane and tell it wrap around the part of whatever diameter. But, since I have not attempted this in Inventor I dont know if this exists.

Emboss - wrap to face in Inventor (but technically this doesn't result in the true geometry.

Sweep with guide surface.

Attach your file here.

You didn't state what version of Inventor you are using.  There is also the cylindrical cam generator in later versions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 4
Talayoe
in reply to: JDMather

I have attached my file.

So, with this instance I was actually tinkering with the option in sweep, but couldnt find the right combination. As such I have deleted the attemped paths and kept the zig zag geom only...as well as a couple of planes I created in the process.

Thanks fo rthe help!

-Randy

----------------------
Inventor 2017 PDS
Message 4 of 4
glenn-chun
in reply to: Talayoe

Please try the following and let me know if this works for you.

1. Invoke the Emboss command. The zig zag geom is automatically selected as a Profile.
2. Enter a desired value in the Depth text box.
3. Press the Engrave from Face button.
4. Add a checkmark to the Wrap to Face option, and you will see the Face button appear.
5. Select the cylindrical face, and you will see a preview of the wrapped zig zag geom on the cylindrical face.
6. Press the OK button.

HTH,

Glenn

Glenn Chun
Sr. Principal Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report