Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extrude Cut Multiple Solids

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
chrisrodway
6446 Views, 15 Replies

Extrude Cut Multiple Solids

Is there any way in inventor to use one extrude cut feature on two different solids at the same time?

If this is possible I think it would make life a lot easier

Cheers

Chris

Cheers

Chris Rodway
Design Engineer
Sheffield, UK
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
JDMather
in reply to: chrisrodway

Can you post an example file where this would be useful?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 16
chrisrodway
in reply to: JDMather

When designing slat tools what we use to manufacture parts. I generate the part to the form of a scanned surface and create the slats.

Then I make the top and bottom tool different solids for export etc. The tools still have some features the same and I thought it would be easier to do it in one feature. Other CAD packages let you do this I thought Inventor would also. The main reason for this is i am trying to automate this design process using ilogic snd its complaining about which solid to cut.

My example file is a made up part to protect my employers manufacturing techniques.

Thanks for the interest and reply

Chris

Cheers

Chris Rodway
Design Engineer
Sheffield, UK
Message 4 of 16
JDMather
in reply to: chrisrodway

If I understand the problem - it looks like you want this to be 30 solid bodies.

I don't know of an easy way to do that in Inventor.

Sounds like a good suggestion - an option to make all disjointed solids into individual solid bodies.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/idb-p/v1232

Easiest current solution I can think of is Extrude To the surface(s) multiple times setting New Solid each time.

Another option might be to do the master as one (or more) disjointed solids and then Derive Component 30 times as surface body and then Sculpt the desired solid in each of the 30 derived files.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 5 of 16

Spoiler

If you make it so the cut goes from the side, first thru one of the solids, it works fine with one feature only.

Just choose both solids to be edited.

/Emil

Message 6 of 16
JDMather
in reply to: Emil.Lewandowski

@Emil.Lewandowski wrote:
Spoiler

If you make it so the cut goes from the side, first thru one of the solids, it works fine with one feature only.

Just choose both solids to be edited.

/Emil

Can you post example ipt file?

EESignature

Message 7 of 16
LT.Rusty

@Anonymous wrote:

Can't post the files because they're proprietary, and we haven't brought the product to market yet, but in my application for this issue I've got an injection molded part that will be molded in a tool that's made up of three separate core / cavity sections that are stacked on top of each other.  In order to make different variants, one or more of the core / cavity sections can be swapped out.  As a result, I've modelled the part as 3 separate solids, derived them into individual parts and put them into an iAssembly so that I can show any of the possible combinations mold parts to make the item.

There's a couple features that start in one mold section and are carried through into another.  Bosses, slots, etc.  It would be really great to be able to cut a slot through both solids in one feature, rather than having to cut one at a time.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 8 of 16
JDMather
in reply to: LT.Rusty

@LT.Rusty wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Can't post the files because they're proprietary,

Wait, wait, hold on, wait....  ...the OP already posted the problem file. 

Can you demonstrate with the technique Emil suggested how that would solve the OP's specific problem.
That is what I am interested in.  I never questioned the usefulness - in fact the OP's problem attached here is a very very good example of why we should be able to easily make multiple multi-body solids.

EESignature

Message 9 of 16
LT.Rusty

@Anonymous wrote:

@LT.Rusty wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Can't post the files because they're proprietary,

Wait, wait, hold on, wait....  ...the OP already posted the problem file.  (and that isn't an accurate quote of what I wrote)
Can you demonstrate with the technique Emil suggested how that would solve the OP's specific problem.
That is what I am interested in.  I never questioned the usefulness - in fact the OP's problem attached here is a very very good example of why we should be able to easily make multiple multi-body solids.

I think we might be looking at different questions.

1.  Someone posted a question about how to extrude / cut through multiple solid bodies in a single operation.

2.  You posted a question looking for a part file where that would actually be a useful technique.

3.  I responded describing a situation where I would find it useful to extrude through multiple solid bodies in one operation.

And yes, that was an accurate quote of what you wrote.

Capture.JPG

Rusty

EESignature

Message 10 of 16
JDMather
in reply to: LT.Rusty

@LT.Rusty wrote:

I think we might be looking at different questions.

Oops, you are right.  I thought you were the one who posted a "solution" without example.

Time for me to go home.

EESignature

Message 11 of 16

Maybe I missunderstod this thread, my english is not the best ;). But as an answer to the first post, one cut thru multiple solids, i've attached an example file. Regards Emil
Message 12 of 16
SBix26
in reply to: Emil.Lewandowski

Interesting-- the attached file has two disjoint solids, and I am able to extrude cut through both solids without any issue.  But in the example file that Chris (OP) posted, I can't do it.  What's the difference?

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 1
Windows XP Pro 32-bit, SP3
HP EliteBook 8730w; 4 GB RAM; Core™ 2 Duo T9400 2.53 GHz; Quadro FX2700M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.7.18
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Message 13 of 16

It also works in the file that chris posted. If deleting the cut outs, it works fine to do just one new thru both solids.

Even with the original sketch and workplane. But I can't figure out why it doesn't work with the first original feature.

/Emil

Message 14 of 16

@Emil.Lewandowski wrote:

It also works in the file that chris posted. If deleting the cut outs, it works fine to do just one new thru both solids.

Even with the original sketch and workplane. But I can't figure out why it doesn't work with the first original feature.

/Emil

Thanks Alot for your input guys out of intrest Emil which original feature that its not working with?

Thanks

Chris

Design Engineer

Sheffield UK

Cheers

Chris Rodway
Design Engineer
Sheffield, UK
Message 15 of 16

The one called "CUT ONE" somehow doesn't seem to work properly.

Message 16 of 16

Thanks for the help guys

Ive just look into it and for some reason if you edit the feature it doesn't let you selected multiple solids, you have to delete it and make a new extrusion. Don't know why

Cheers Everyone

Chris

Design Engineer

Sheffield,UK

Cheers

Chris Rodway
Design Engineer
Sheffield, UK

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report