Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremely slow to open a file when working remotely with Inventor Pro 2014

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Jfergusonpgwg
2319 Views, 4 Replies

Extremely slow to open a file when working remotely with Inventor Pro 2014

I will soon be working remotely from work.  We have the Product Design Suite Premium 2014 with network licensing.  When I work remotely and connect through a VPN I am able to open Inventor and grab a license.  This only take ~20 seconds longer than when I am onsite.  We use Vault 2014 Basic to store our files.  I have no problem downloading the files from there when working remotely.  The probelem comes when I try to open a file.  For one particular file onsite it takes ~5 seconds and remotely it takes 8-10 minutes.  The file is just a single part that's only like 200kB.  I even have the file downloaded from Vault on my computer.  I have tried even logging off vault and opening it from my computer browser and it still takes the same amount of time.  I don't get what is making it take so long it has to be network related though.  What is it looking for on the network that is slowing it down so much?  I will need to be working on assemblies and can't imagine how long they would take to open.

If you need any other information please let me know.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Update:

I have found that this only occurs on the first file I open after lauching the program.  It takes almost 10 minutes exactly to open whether it is a new part template, an existing part, or a large assembly.  Once the first one is opened the ones after that open with no problem.  If I close the program completely out though I have to go through the 10 minute wait when I launch it again and open the first file.

I have looked and I have continuous network traffic through my VPN serice during the 10 minutes.

What is it that it is checking so much on the first file that is opened?

Message 3 of 5
mpatchus
in reply to: Jfergusonpgwg

Check your virus protection software.

We were encountering similiar issues with out remote users until we had the virus scan IGNORE idw, ipt & iam files.

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 4 of 5
LT.Rusty

Look at the bottom of the screen while it's loading, in the lower left corner.  Do you see anything about "Loading Assembly Bonus Tools," "Loading Mold Design Environment," anything like that?  Those are things that only happen on the first file you open in a given session of Inventor.  Are those getthing pulled over the network for some reason?

Rusty

EESignature

Message 5 of 5
bob_holland

Jfergusonpgwg,

There are a couple of things that you should look into:
•    Borrow a license so that you do not need to go through VPN to get a license
•    Check your project
     o    Are you looking at libraries over VPN?
•    Make available offline:
     o    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/working-with-network-files-when-you-are-offline
     o    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc738531%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

This will allow you to not have to reach across the VPN for information.

It will sync when you reconnect via VPN or get back in the office.

Have a great weekend.

Bob Holland
Autodesk Product Support

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report