Inventor General

Contributor
MikeKovacik4928
Message 1 of 3 (973 Views)

Extension Spring Component Generator

973 Views, 2 Replies
10-30-2012 10:53 AM

Can’t seem to get it to work. No calculations required, just a 3d model.
Want a spring od 18mm, wire dia 2mm, with 52 coils, with something like a full loop or half hook hook type.
The dimensions I have entered in don’t seem to work.

What is the secret here?

Mike K
Joburg, South Africa
Employee
jingyi.liu
Message 2 of 3 (951 Views)

Re: Extension Spring Component Generator

10-30-2012 11:09 PM in reply to: MikeKovacik4928

Hi Mike

Could you post your data here? Is there any error message in the extended window of design dialogue?

Without considering calculation results, I tried and got the result if the parameters were suitable.

Inventor Professional 2015

Jingyi Liu
Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk
Contributor
MikeKovacik4928
Message 3 of 3 (921 Views)

Re: Extension Spring Component Generator

10-31-2012 10:12 AM in reply to: MikeKovacik4928

Thanks Jingyi

I got it eventually, by using suitable parameters.

I notice that using design accelerator you cannot (or not that I could see anyway) draw the spring in its free position (ie fully closed)

I therefore also drew it in ipt using conventional methods

I did notice that I had to use a pitch of 2.01mm (slightly more than 2mm) to prevent self intersection of solid bodies.

Also I was able to draw the hook ends a bit better than they come out in design accelerator. Also,  In accelerator the hook ends always come out parallel to each other.

However I am not sure what the practical reason is for not having them parallel to each other (as I have drawn in spring 01 .ipt)

However all being said and done, I don't know how the springs are actually manufactured and what a manufacturer would need to know. I am assuming the tension spring would be fully closed ( ie as I have modelled it without the design accelerator in spring01.ipt) when it is not under  load.

I think I will speak to the spring manufacturer tomorrow to ask him a few of what his required parameters are

Mike

PS I can't add all my attachments - they are too big combined even when  I zip, Therefore I will only add one+ 2jpegs

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube