Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exports from Autodesk Inventor to other file formats

32 REPLIES 32
Message 1 of 33
JanTheDesigner
11718 Views, 32 Replies

Exports from Autodesk Inventor to other file formats

We're working on a project for a client that involves producing an industrial video for them. We have asked the client to provide us with views of the product and product components as flat, 2D vector image files.

They have provided us with .IAM files, but we also need the files in other formats. So far, the client has only been able to send us flat, raster JPEG images, with muddy, dark gray gradation backgrounds, and the highest resolution they've been able to produce is 96ppi -- this is not going to work.  We've asked if they can provide isometric views of the product components in any of the following file formats:

EPS
AI
CDR
CGM
CGZ
DWG
DXF
FMR
PLT
SVG

OR if they can save the view as an Iges file (IGS), or a Collada file (DAE), we might be able to work with that.
But they do not seem to understand what we are asking them for.  Does Inventor export to any of the above formats?  And if so, can we somehow get step-by-step instructions on how to perform these exports, so we can send our client the instructions to provide us with the file formats that we need?
For that matter, does anyone happen to know of any video production applications that can handle IAM files as input? Help would be greatly appreciated!
"I'm a graphic designer, not an engineer!"
32 REPLIES 32
Message 21 of 33

@Anonymous wrote:

I estimate that around 90% of users do not know how to use the product.

LOL.....I love it. JD, truer words have not been spoken. But then again I've been spending the last 3+ yrs more on the CAD Admin side versus the Design side, I feel like that 90% from time to time.

But I have to agree, I'm totally blown away that these people are just sending the .iam file and not the associated .ipt files. But then again, as you say..... There have been numerous times (as recently as last week here) where I had to explain the assembly file is just a set of links to the part files. They looked at me like a dog hearing a high pitched noise.

The Pack & Go should solve the issues one would hope.

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Jim
Celtic Design Services, LLC

Inventor/AutoCAD/Vault WorkGroups
Always for hire - celticdesign01ATyahooDOTcom
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celtic-Design-Services-LLC/184666001666426
==========================================================
Please use the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums.

Go raibh maith agat (in other words...Thank you!)
Message 22 of 33

CDS:  What is the output from the "Pack and Go" operation?  Does it provide something that avoids having to "turn over" the original source iam/ipt files?

Message 23 of 33
JDMather
in reply to: JanTheDesigner

@JanTheDesigner wrote:

CDS:  What is the output from the "Pack and Go" operation?  Does it provide something that avoids having to "turn over" the original source iam/ipt files?

No.  It is a way of collecting all the source files into one folder (if they are not already in one folder).

You might have part files that are used in multiple assemblies (fasteners are a good example) that might exist in other folders or libraries.

Now I would assume these users had the entire project in one folder and would not even need to use pack and go.

It is beyond me how anyone can use a professional and expensive program like Inventor and not know that the iam file is simply a list of hyperlinks to the parts for an assembly.  Even the person who cuts my hair has to pass a State exam of some minimal level of competency.

In my experience someone who can't subit an entire assembly (parts and all) has a tough time figuring out Pack and Go as well.  File management just seems to baffle them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 24 of 33

Have a look at post 5, it seems to be similar to what you are after.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Rendering-Drawings-to-vector-images/td-p/3259764

Earlier you posted a dwg file and stated that it just had some ovals in it. Just to let you know the dwg file posted contains what I assume is a 3D model of your clients product (it looks like a disassembled hair curler warmer).

Regards

Martin

Inventor 2023
Message 25 of 33
JDMather
in reply to: JanTheDesigner

Since you might have indavertently posted proprietary information you might click the "Report Inappropriate Content" and ask the moderator to remove the file or this entire thread. (if the later we can start the discussion over)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 26 of 33

Oh, rats. For a second there, I thought we might have a complete solution.  I WILL, however, recommend the Pack and Go if -- in the end -- they deign to send the source files.  "Jury's still out" on that question.  At just before 5PM today, I'll email out to them whatever I have at that point for my advice/request email and we'll see what happens.

All this does beg the question for me, though:  what do product developers who have their products defined in CAD applications such as Inventor DO when they need to hand along nice, rendered images of their products for use in marketing and promotional pieces for print, or web, for example (never mind for producing videos)?  What if my client wanted me to do a nice printed brochure or catalog (or same as a downloadable PDF) of their product line, and we wanted to use renderings to illustrate it instead of going to the time and expense of setting up a product photo shoot?

Low res. (96 or 72dpi) JPEGs or TIFFs are no good at all for print.  Why is it that they can't just generate a vector EPS file* or an AI file of the lovely product in some isometric view, all rendered with a surface texture and light source configured?  The illustrations in the Inventor Getting Started Guide on the page where it talks about how to do exports sure had a couple of nice pix there.

* Granted:  the surface qualities of the renderings may be a huge challenge for the export as well as for 3rd party import filters. I've seen this before.

Message 27 of 33

Thank you, Martin!!  I have just done that and asked the Moderator to remove the attachment and/or the entire post, but *begged* them NOT to delete the entire Discussion thread!

Here's hoping they can do that!

So there WAS something in that DWG file after all??  I had sent it off to an engineer I know who said he'd try opening it yesterday, but I hadn't heard back from him.  So:  I suppose the CorelDRAW! X5 import filter was therefore "not up to the task," then.

Rats again!!

Message 28 of 33

Jan,

You'll need to sign a Non-discloser it sounds like. Especially if they are worried.

I don't even want to suggest it to them but if they are worried about the internal workings getting out and/or being reverse engineered or whatever, doing the "shrinkwrap" process will just simply result in a "shell" of the product.

Just to clarify, the shrinkwrap basically fills all the internal voids as solid so you'll basically have the outer representation of the parts/assembly. But again, if they don't understand how assembly files are made up, I doubt they'll grasp Shrinkwrap.

But if you are working for them, a NDS should have already been signed, I would think. I never even step foot on a client's site without liability insurance or a signed NDS.

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Jim
Celtic Design Services, LLC

Inventor/AutoCAD/Vault WorkGroups
Always for hire - celticdesign01ATyahooDOTcom
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celtic-Design-Services-LLC/184666001666426
==========================================================
Please use the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums.

Go raibh maith agat (in other words...Thank you!)
Message 29 of 33

I have to log off now and send my email such as it is.  If only I'd known that there was something in that DWG file.

Martin:  was it an orthogonal view, or a view straight from the side?  What we need is the latter.

Message 30 of 33

Yes, I'd already told the markeing firm I'm working with on this that I can sign a nondisclosure, if that's what they need.

Message 31 of 33

It is a 3D model so you can create whatever views you want from it. I found this on the Corel website. I don't use the software but looking at the instructions if followed you should be able to use the dwg file to get the views you want. Step 6 below is showing how to set up the plane to project the 3D model onto.

Regards

Martin

FROM X4 HELP

AutoCAD Drawing Database (DWG) and AutoCAD Drawing Interchange Format (DXF)

AutoCAD Drawing Database (DWG) files are vector files used as a native format for AutoCAD drawings.

The Drawing Interchange Format (DXF) is a tagged data representation of the information contained in an AutoCAD drawing file. The Drawing Interchange format is a native file format of AutoCAD. It has become a standard for exchanging CAD drawings and is supported by many CAD applications. The Drawing Interchange format is vector-based and supports up to 256 colors.

To import an AutoCAD Drawing Database file (DWG) or AutoCAD Drawing Interchange Format (DXF)Back to Top

Click File  Import.

Locate the folder in which the file is stored.

Do one of the following:

(Windows Vista) Choose DWG - AutoCAD (*.dwg) or DXF - AutoCAD (*.dxf) from the list box next to the File name box.

(Windows XP) Choose DWG - AutoCAD or DXF - AutoCAD from the Files of type list box.

Click the filename.

Click Import.

From the 3D projection list box in the Import AutoCAD file dialog box, choose a plane projection of a three-dimensional object as seen from a given focal point.

If you want to reduce the number of nodes on the imported object, enable Auto-reduce nodes.

In the Scaling area, enable one of the following options:

Automatic — scales the drawing using the scale of the AutoCAD source file

English (1 unit = 1 inch) — lets you scale the drawing in inches

Metric (1 unit = 1 mm) — lets you scale the drawing in millimeters

If views are specified in your file, they appear automatically in the 3D projection list box.

If your computer is missing a font that is included in a file you are importing, a PANOSE font matching dialog box appears and lets you substitute the font with a similar font.
Inventor 2023
Message 32 of 33
Hutizaki
in reply to: Cadmanto

I downloaded Inventor 2017 for educational purposes and I can't export my idw as "CAD format"
Message 33 of 33
JDMather
in reply to: Hutizaki

idw is a "CAD" format?

Exactly what are you trying to do?

Include screen captures and actual Inventor files attached here.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report