Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exports from Autodesk Inventor to other file formats

32 REPLIES 32
Message 1 of 33
JanTheDesigner
11712 Views, 32 Replies

Exports from Autodesk Inventor to other file formats

We're working on a project for a client that involves producing an industrial video for them. We have asked the client to provide us with views of the product and product components as flat, 2D vector image files.

They have provided us with .IAM files, but we also need the files in other formats. So far, the client has only been able to send us flat, raster JPEG images, with muddy, dark gray gradation backgrounds, and the highest resolution they've been able to produce is 96ppi -- this is not going to work.  We've asked if they can provide isometric views of the product components in any of the following file formats:

EPS
AI
CDR
CGM
CGZ
DWG
DXF
FMR
PLT
SVG

OR if they can save the view as an Iges file (IGS), or a Collada file (DAE), we might be able to work with that.
But they do not seem to understand what we are asking them for.  Does Inventor export to any of the above formats?  And if so, can we somehow get step-by-step instructions on how to perform these exports, so we can send our client the instructions to provide us with the file formats that we need?
For that matter, does anyone happen to know of any video production applications that can handle IAM files as input? Help would be greatly appreciated!
"I'm a graphic designer, not an engineer!"
32 REPLIES 32
Message 2 of 33
Cadmanto
in reply to: JanTheDesigner

Jan,

These are the formats that Inventor can export out to.

export.JPG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 33

Thank you!  I see that DWG is one of the formats.  It looks like these are export options from Inventor Pro.  What if my client only has Inventor Light?  Are the export options limited there?

Message 4 of 33
Cadmanto

I am not aware of an Inventor light.  There are different levels (i.e. standard and professional)

and with all of those the export options are the same.  I know there is Autocad light.  There is also Inventor Fusion

with these export options.

export.JPG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 5 of 33
ampster401

if they provided you .iam files, then they have a full version of Inventor.

Inventor LT doesn't do assemblies...

And yes, it can do .igs (.iges) also

Message 6 of 33
JDMather

It sounds like this client needs Inventor Training.
The files can be saved to dwg, dxf or igs (and other types).

If they are sending you *.iam files without *.ipt files - they are clueless.

*.iam files are assembly files - only contain list of hyperlinks to part files (*.ipt).

You could do the conversion yourself with FREE Inventor Fusion http://labs.autodesk.com if they can't get the dwg to you, but you will need the ipt files that go with the iam file(s).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 7 of 33
JDMather

@JanTheDesigner wrote:
But they do not seem to understand what we are asking them for. 
Ask them to log in here and respond to this thread.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 8 of 33

Cadmanto: Understood. 

I guess by "nventor Light" I meant the non-Pro version. 

Good to know the exports are available from both versions.  I may now have enough information to communicate to my client.  Still seems odd to me that they wouldn't have known to do this and found the export to DWG on their own. Is this export done while they're displaying a particular view or rendering?  Can I ask them to leave out the dark gray gradation background?

MANY THANKS!!

Message 9 of 33
JDMather

@JanTheDesigner wrote:

...  Still seems odd to me that they wouldn't have known to do this and found the export to DWG on their own.

I estimate that around 90% of users do not know how to use the product.

The export will be a 3D model without any background.

If you need 2D you will have to be more specific.

It will be important to know EXACTLY what version of Inventor they are using to give them step-by-step instructions.
Have them log in here.

EESignature

Message 10 of 33
JDMather

@JanTheDesigner wrote:

We have asked the client to provide us with views of the product and product components as flat, 2D vector image files.

Oops, I missed this in the original post.  This complicates things.

EESignature

Message 11 of 33
Cadmanto

Jan,

You can, but it seems based on what they have asked of you they may not be able to figure out how to do that.

You can change that under the tools tab>application options.

options.JPG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 12 of 33
JanTheDesigner
in reply to: Cadmanto

Thanks, folks!  All this info is VERY helpful. I've gotta dash out just now, and will be back later this afternoon.  I don't want to close the thread quite yet, since I've passed along the first responses to the client, and they may come back with more problems.  As for sending them a link to this discussion . . . thing is: it'd be kinda bad for them to read about the cluelessness factor, if you see what I mean.  Smiley Embarassed

Message 13 of 33
JanTheDesigner

Am back, and had the attached file waiting for me in email.  It's a DWG file, and seems to contain just a few scattered ovals when I open it using CorelDRAW! to import a DWG file, scaled 1:1, and as a southeast isometric view.

This is not of any use to us at all. But, hey, at least it's a VECTOR file, so that's progress, right??

Doublechecked the folders with all the files the client has sent to us so far on this, and there are NO .ipt files.  Only .iam files in there.  I do have a freeware app called STP Viewer installed here, but that can apparently only open Step files, and even then I don't know what file types those could be exported out to.

This is starting to go sideways.  But I wouldn't even know THIS much if it wasn't for you guys on this Discussion thread. Smiley Happy

So now a video guy I know tells me he can open up the .iam (and associated .ipt) files for use directly in creating our video sequences. Now if I can just get the client to SEND us BOTH of these needed file types, we might be able to get to . . . . wait for it . . . "square ONE" !!!

Aaaarrrgghh...  Smiley Frustrated

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Message 14 of 33
JDMather

@JanTheDesigner wrote:

Am back, and had the attached file waiting for me in email.  It's a DWG file, and seems to contain just a few scattered ovals when I open it using CorelDRAW! to import a DWG file, scaled 1:1, and as a southeast isometric view.

Doublechecked the folders with all the files the client has sent to us so far on this, and there are NO .ipt files.  Only .iam files in there.  I do have a freeware app called STP Viewer installed here, but that can apparently only open Step files, and even then I don't know what file types those could be exported out to.

There were a couple of floaters in the file.
I don't know anything about CorelDraw - but try this one.

Anyone who doesn't know that an iam file is simply a list of hyperlinks should still be in school learning how to learn the program - not getting paid to use it. 

I recommend you send them here so that they can continue their (free) training.

You can download FREE Inventor Fusion to open many types of CAD  files.

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

EESignature

Message 15 of 33
Cadmanto

Jan,

Unless I am missing something, it sounds like you are not being sent all of the necessary files.

What I mean is based on what you are describing it sounds as though they are sending you the iam file without the parts.  If this is the case have them do a pack and go of the assembly and send you this complete package in a zip file.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 16 of 33
JanTheDesigner

Cadmanto --  Thank you!  I've just cut-and-pasted your description of what they need to do, and passed it along to my contact for the client, asking them to do exactly that.

We'll get this yet!  Smiley Happy

Message 17 of 33
JanTheDesigner
in reply to: JDMather

Hello, all --

I'm told the client has -- not the very latest version of Inventor, but probably just one level back. 

Turns out there may be an issue with their turning over the source .iam/.ipt files out of the client's concern for handing off proprietary information, which I completely understand, since this information does describe their products in a usable form. We're going to offer to sign nondisclosures, but just in case they're uncomfortable even with that, I need the assistance of this forum for "one more round."

What we need from the client is a rendered (with a plain, metallic surface:  not a "wireframe") vector image file of each of the product assembly's components. Imagine a series of parts that fit one within the other in various configurations, depending on what the assembled (configured) product unit is needed for. I can't go into more detail without revealing the client's identity.

This vector image needs to have no background at all (ideally transparent, or if not that, then plain solid white). 

The view of the product component needs to be directly straight-on, from the side. Is there a special term for this kind of view?

Apparently we need step-by-step instructions to tell them how to produce these files out of Autodesk Inventor (not the Pro version), because if they are not willing to turn over the source .iam/.ipt files, we still need these product component images in a scalable vector format rather than a flat raster format so our video people can use them, and so that image resolution is NOT a factor. We may even need to use these vector images for other things, such as printed materials, so it's best if they're not raster images.

I've checked with the marketing firm I'm working with on this project, and we agree that it would be undiplomatic, even unkind, to give the end-client a link to the Discussion here because we're revealing our frustration and using the word "clueless."  < s i g h >

I'm just the hapless graphic designer here. I appreciate the engineer's point of view, as I often design for engineering clients, but we're hitting a roadblock that only you guys can help me with.

Is there a link to a step-by-step user guide page to which I can direct my client, or better yet:  does anyone here want to take a crack at a quick list of step-by-step instructions for this operation?

Message 18 of 33
ampster401

would "shrinkwrap" work for this?

I've never used it so not sure.

Message 19 of 33
JanTheDesigner

Not sure about "shrinkwrap."

I'm in the process of cobbling up an email that'll be going directly to the client contact, but I haven't sent it yet, pending further possible wisdom from this Discussion.

In that email I plan to send, I've included all the best advice I could cut-and-paste from this Discussion so far, and I've also now included links to the Autodesk web site's page with a list of all the user manuals and the "Getting Started Guide."  In there, I looked it up, and it mentions the following file formats as available for export from Inventor 2010:  CATIA V5, JT, Pro/Engineer, SAT, STEP, IGES, DWF "...and various graphic files formats." which it does not specify. 

I'm not familiar with CATIA V5, JT, Pro/Engineer, or SAT.  And although "DWF" sounds promising, neither it nor the others are formats that I can import/open with CorelDRAW! X5, which is what I have here. All the above are formats I'd have to hand off to someone else to open and then hopefully export out from those to something I can import into Corel X5.

I was hoping at worst to have to do a two-step process of open/import into CorelDRAW! and then export from there to IA (Adobe Illustrator). Doesn't look like there's a clear through-path for this, though. Unless I get lucky and any of the other formats I can import into Corel are among the "... various graphics files formats." they mention in the Inventor user guide. Not having the iam/ipt files and not having Inventor installed here are conspiring to put me "behind a wall."

Here's my "wish list" -- An export from Inventor directly to Adobe Illustrator.  Wouldn't THAT be nice?  Or how about to a vector EPS file that Adobe Illustrator could open??  "Hope springs eternal."

Message 20 of 33
JDMather
in reply to: ampster401

@ampster401 wrote:

would "shrinkwrap" work for this?

I've never used it so not sure.

I don't think shrinkwrap has anything to do with this.

Sounds like a simple shaded dwg views on white background. (2D vector)

Not sure how CorelDraw will handle the part shading though.

Maybe just the 2D vector geometry and do the shading in CorelDraw.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums