Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting to step files

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Sweeny88
2824 Views, 11 Replies

Exporting to step files

Hi there.

I'm realitively new to Inventor.

I can use the program and quite happily create components, sub assemblys, and master assemblys.

Our company still doesn't have ANY 3D FILES. I have been tasked with eventually creating a full range of end product drawings as Step files. They are wanting BIMS. I see this a step to far atm.....

With the products that manufacture inhouse (industrial / comercial boilers) I have produced each individual component within the boiler to eventually aid to manufacture and bombs to intergrate with SAP.

With doing this every boiler I have done in inventor all the components are there and easily accessable. Am I right in thinking it needs to be exported as a step file to lock everything within the master assembly.

When I have exported it to a step file, when it comes to importing it into an  assembly file the components are still accessable when expanded in the menu at the side. Is this because im opening it on my computer or have I done something wrong.....

Regards

Nick

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
CCarreiras
in reply to: Sweeny88

Hi!

What's your question!?

When you export to STEP, you lose the features tree (in the parts) and the Constrains (in the assembly) among other things, but you still have the parts as a solid in the assembly.

I understand that you are you trying to lock everyting, but what is the purpose? Maybe there is another ways to do better what you search.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the Mark Solutions!Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 3 of 12
JDMather

@Sweeny88 wrote:

... tasked with eventually creating a full range of end product drawings as Step files.

...I see this a step to far atm.....

I don't  understand these 2 statements.

1.  STEP files are 3D models, not 2D end product drawings?

2. I don't know what this means, perhaps you can finish your sentance.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 12
Sweeny88
in reply to: JDMather

Sorry I wasn't very clear.

Ive created a 3d model with all the components. I want to export it as a stepfile which is just the exterior render. or overall shape and loose all the internal details.

The drawing Ive created does contain some step files. I was led to believe by the person that trained me. Exporting a file to step file creates a solid block which cant be edited.

When I export to a step I can still edit it?????

is this clearer.......

Nick

Message 5 of 12
Sweeny88

I've only had limited training on Inventor. Im mostly self taught. so please forgive me.

I need to get my head around inventor and creating 3D models. But my componany is wanting to create BIMS as this is the way everyones going.

As a company we only have 2D drawings.... Be it in Boiler GA's or Plantroom layouts. 

Im perfectly competant at creating full assemblys in Inventor and creating BOMB's But I'm Struggling with exporting the end product for other users.

Nick

Message 6 of 12
rdyson

Do a search for Shrinkwrap.

PDSU 2016
Message 7 of 12
CCarreiras

Ok!

I better understand what you need... But, a couple of questions:

do you want to export  your assemblys to use in Revit, or to use in Inventor Layouts?

What Inventor version are you working?

What package do you have? Product design suite, factory suite, or inventor standalone?

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 8 of 12
Sweeny88
in reply to: CCarreiras

Ideally they want to be revit format... But I don't have a revit package.

I have created a couple of layouts in Inventor but I find this is only useful if I'm creating a package plantroom (see attached) not an exisitng plantroom.

Currently I have got 2013 Inventor Pro.

Nick

Message 9 of 12
bob_holland

Nick,

Can you please take another shot at uploading your file.

Thank you.

Bob Holland
Autodesk Product Support
Message 10 of 12
CCarreiras

Hi!

To simply export to inventor and protecting the "intelectual property", you can "SHRINKWRAP" your assemblys.

Your assembly will be tranformed in one single part.ipt and you will have some nice tools: to remove some details, little parts, fill holes, fill voids (this last option must be very good to you). In the final you have only one ipt and your intelectual property is preserved. Be aware, this is not associative to any change in the main assembly. Every time you change the assembly, you have to create a new "ShinkWrap".

1.png

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 11 of 12
cfairfowl
in reply to: CCarreiras

Hi, I am saving step files from Inventor 2018 so I can import them into 3ds max, what is the best protocol to use? 203? 214? or 242?. What is the difference between these settings? I know I can import Inventor models but I want to import step files.

Thanks in advance.....

Message 12 of 12
johnsonshiue
in reply to: cfairfowl

Hi! I believe you want to use 203 or 214 when exporting from Inventor to 3D Max. You will get the geometry. STEP 242 is mainly for Model Base Definition (3D Annotation). I don't think 3D Max can import it yet.

For more information about STEP, please take a look at the following Wiki page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_10303

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report