Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting problem with Inventor to AutoCAD

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
sltyler
769 Views, 10 Replies

Exporting problem with Inventor to AutoCAD

I've been running into this problem when exporting from Inventor 2014 to AutoCAD Mechanical 2014: whenever I "export face" to .dxf, certain lines and/or arcs come in as hundreds of vertices. This creates significant slow down on the plasma table and burns through consumables much more quickly. To manually remove all of the extraneous vertices is extremely tedius and time consuming. Any ideas on how can I fix this? We usually export to the old R12 DXF format.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
johnsonshiue
in reply to: sltyler

Hi! It sounds like a file-specific behavior. Could you post it here or send it to me via email (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)?

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 11
Cadmanto

I know I have run into issues with Autocad Mechanical in the past.  If you have access to regular Autocad have you tried exporting with that?

I would just be curious to see if this is a program issue or a file issue.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 11
sltyler
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Sorry for my slow response time on this. I've attached the .ipt and the .dxf files. Thanks for the help.

Message 5 of 11
sltyler
in reply to: Cadmanto

Unfortunately, I only have access to AutoCAD Mechanical.

Message 6 of 11
sltyler

Does anyone have any ideas?

Message 7 of 11
FireBallFab

Opening both of these in Inventor 2014 showed no problems. Is it your export settings?

Message 8 of 11
jddickson

I know this is not ideal but this should work for you.

1. You have to Export it as a newer Dwg. File
  2. Open file in AutoCAD Mechanical
  3. Use flatten Command on all lines; click “Y” to remove hidden lines.
  4. If you want you can turn them into a Polyline after and join them together.
  5. Save file as any dxf format that you need.

I hope this helps

Thanks

JD

Message 9 of 11
sltyler
in reply to: jddickson

Thanks for the response. I see a "FLATSHOT" command but no flatten command. I'm using AutoCAD Mechanical 2014. I attempted to use flatshot, but really have no clue how to use it properly. I just get an error that says there are no solids that can be projected.
Message 10 of 11
jddickson

You need to install “express tools” (it has a lot of extra features that come in handy like the flatten command). For some reason it does not in stall by default.

First go to Programs and Features in your Control Panel. Select AutoCAD Mechanical 2014 and then click the Uninstall/Change button.

pic 5.jpg

Next click the Add or Remove Features button.

pic 6.jpg

The last step you need to do is hit the next button and then select the Express Tools to install

pic 7.jpg

pic 8.jpg

Message 11 of 11
sltyler
in reply to: jddickson

Very helpful! Thanks a lot for all the help everyone!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report