Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expand the constraint window

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
timdown73
826 Views, 10 Replies

Expand the constraint window

Is there a way to expand the constraint window so that I can see my entire parameter formula?  In the image below, my equation is cut off in the "offset" window.  Or am I supposed to be inputting the parameters in some other manner?  

Capture.JPG

-Tim U.
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10875H CPU @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz>Memory: 32.0 GB Ram
Op Sys: Windows 10 professional
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
JDMather
in reply to: timdown73

Can you create a named parameter with a short name and make it equal to the equation you entered?

Then you would only need to enter the short name. (or click the arrow at the end of the box and select Show Parameters and then select it from list of user named parameters.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 11
timdown73
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks for the reply.  I take it there is no way to expand the constraint dialog box.  That's really what I want to do and I wanted to make sure there isn't a way to do it before I post about it in the Inventor IdeaStaition. Maybe it's me but I run into this all the time...Even if you use shorter names, if you put 3 or 4 parameters in, it's impossible to see them all.

-Tim U.
Message 4 of 11
jtylerbc

No, there's really no way to expand that box, but there is a workaround.  You could try this (which is what I do when a formula is too long to work with in a dialog box):

Name the parameter and give it a temporary value in the constraint dialog box by typing it in using the "Equal" shortcut.

ex.  "WIDTH = 5 in"

This is so you will be able to recognize the parameter easily in the next step.

Then open up the Parameters dialog box (on the Manage tab), and write your formula in there, replacing the temporary number you gave it earlier.  This dialog box typically has larger columns for the formula than the normal command dialog boxes to begin with, AND can be resized to be even larger.

Message 5 of 11
timdown73
in reply to: jtylerbc

Thanks for the reply.  I can see that working well for model parameters but I use a lot of User parameters that are established before I even start a sketch.  I abbreviate as much as I can but that darn window is so small.  I don't see why they can't make it expandable. 

-Tim U.
Message 6 of 11
jtylerbc

Not sure I'm following how User Parameters would be a problem for this method - this is the same dialog box where you would have created them, so it should work fine for them, unless I'm missing something about what you're doing.  They should all be listed in the User Parameters section toward the bottom of the Parameters dialog box.

Having that box be expandable into a larger equation-editing box wouldn't be a bad thing though.  Could even be as simple as just taking you directly to the Parameters dialog box with the relevant row highlighted.

Message 7 of 11
blair
in reply to: jtylerbc

You can always set up a part template with the common parameters (formula) in the template.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 8 of 11
4donwan4

This is by designed within the product I think. If you would like to enter a wish list item asking for this to be considered as an enhancement please use the following link.
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

Submit the possibility to expand this dialog box like any other windows ones.

Don

Message 9 of 11
timdown73
in reply to: 4donwan4

Thank you Don.

-Tim U.
Message 10 of 11
IS200

I have submitted this exact scenario as a wishlist item at least 5 times in the past and nothing comes of it. It's not only the constraint dialog box, have you ever tried to do a pack & go? An assembly may have 100 parts or more but the bottom dialog lets you see 4 of them at a time, really handy, not!

I think Autodesk should employ a consultant who actually uses the software on a daily basis to give some real-world advice on making this program properly user friendly.

The last 3 releases have provided more and more eye-candy, which does not make the program any better from a designer's point of view, and all the important fixes are being left by the wayside.

Autodesk, it's time to stop fighting the eye-candy war against your competitors and give the end user some improvements which make their day to day jobs better and easier.

Message 11 of 11
timdown73
in reply to: IS200

Disappointing to hear that nothing has come of your suggestions.  It seems like such an easy fix to make dialog boxes expandable.

-Tim U.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report