Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excel and inventor

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
DanielCTurcotte
3312 Views, 8 Replies

Excel and inventor

Hi

Recently my boss decided to save money on our software. And switch our microsoft office on our computers (without advising anyone) with a different one ,(apparantly free). Now evidently Inventor is not compatible with the new version replacing excel (libre office).

To what extend inventor needs excel to work out properly?

If there are problems does it have a work around or do we have no choice to reinstall excel?

I need to know all possible problem that could arise. So that i could rightfully complain in front of my boss  😛

Thanks in advance

And sorry for my bad english  

Inventor Version: 2022
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

inventor dont need excel to work at all. the functionaliyu lost is to export parts lists to excel, and import points and point clouds based on X,Y,Z coordinates. 

Message 3 of 9

I agree to what you`re saying, i work many days whitout excel and it worked just fine.

But recently i open one assembly containing ipart and iassembly. & it keeps showing me errors none-stop because of excel is not installed.

So what kind of other problem i will get later on?

Is there a way to deal with iparts and iassembly without refering with excel?

Thanks

Message 4 of 9
blair
in reply to: DanielCTurcotte

Looks like the new version of OpenOffice is working with Inventor. It might be worth a try as it's free. (mind you this was with newer version of Inventor)

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 9

If you use an ipart/iassembly workflow, using Excel can have massive advantages.

For example i have an iAssembly with about 500 different members (hence 500 different configurations of an assembly).

It contains iparts that can be replaced by an ipart from the same ipart family.  I have created a number of various user parameters that become columns in the table.  A variety of functions (IF, LOOKUP, etc.) are used to look at the values in these columns for each member then calculate what parts should be present within each configuration.

Wayne Helley
Inventor 2013 Certified Professional

Autodesk Inventor Professional 2023
Visual Studio 2022
Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit
Message 6 of 9
DanielCTurcotte
in reply to: blair

Hi blair

I talk about it with my tech support, he`s saying that our version libre office is the te new version of open office. But he said that he will still look in to it.

So it seems that the problem is my version of inventor...

Anyway, maybe the old version of open office will work, well give it a try.

Thanks,

And Wayne

i completly agree with you on this, Creating ipart & iassembly can be a great help on the workflow of a project. If open office won`t work i will certainly push to reinstall excell. Thanks

Message 7 of 9
blair
in reply to: DanielCTurcotte

I would try the current version of OpenOffice, it might be closer to Excel. If you are not using iParts and such, then the only real need for Excel is when working with Threads in Inventor.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 8 of 9
BarryZA
in reply to: blair

I tried to open Inventor Studio, without having Excel installed and got an error telling me I need Excel. Installed Excel and now it's fine.

I'm sure I read somewhere that any version from 2002 will work for Inventor.

Message 9 of 9

Maybe your boss would prefer to update everyone's seat of Inventor and pay the subcription, I am sure that is much cheaper than paying for Office. Smiley LOL

Jim

Inventor Premium 2013 SP1.1
Vault 2013- plain vanilla version
HP G71 notebook
celeron cpu w\ 4gb RAM and 64 bit system
Win 7 home premium

Ya, my boss has me running my personal machine at work.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums