Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error messages upon opening .iam - Link broken??

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
MissEmily
905 Views, 9 Replies

Error messages upon opening .iam - Link broken??

I am opening a large assembly that someone else completed at my company. Whenever I open it, I get two error messages I would like to resolve:

1. Non-Unique Project File Names, where it asks me to choose a workspace and relative path, or hit other.

2. Resolve Link - asks me for the link to a .bmp that I don't believe exists on our server anymore.

Since this is a large assembly that I didn't work on until it was completed, I have no idea what images or external files were inserted. Rather than getting advice on how to find the correct image to resolve the broken link, I need help on how to find the culprit file(s) and either diagnose or unattach/purge them from the drawing altogether. If both errors are about the same file, honestly, I have been through our server files and I don't think the image is on the server, so it needs to be removed. Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
ampster401
in reply to: MissEmily

for the missing bmp, notice in your screenshot it states "File Containing the Reference:"

That is the file where the bmp should be, open that file up and try deleting the link to the bmp.

Message 3 of 10
MissEmily
in reply to: ampster401

Duh, I knew that. Will that fix the first error? 

The problem still exists in the file containing the reference that this image no longer exists, so I can't load it into the drawing. I still want to get rid of it, but I don't know how to remove the reference from the drawing. There is an image in the .ipt, but it is named image4, not batt1, and it renders correctly. I just need to remove the reference to the dead file.

Message 4 of 10
MissEmily

If it helps, what I BELIEVE happened is that one of our engineers probably attached an image from his local computer and then saved the .ipt to the server. The .ipt is fine, but it maintains that link to a local document, and that's what I need to find and eliminate.

Message 5 of 10
TONELLAL

For the image : at the beginning of your browser, in the file with the image, you should have a "Third party" folder. In this folder you have the link you want to delete.

For the multiple project : is your project file a Single user or a Vault project ? Which version of Inventor ?

Message 6 of 10
MissEmily
in reply to: TONELLAL

There is no Third Party folder in the .ipt

This is a single-user Inventor 2013 file. It could have been created a few years ago, but I'm not sure.

Message 7 of 10
ampster401

@MissEmily wrote:

Duh, I knew that.

always hard to tell from text what someone at the other end is trying to get across.

Sorry, I was going by this line in your first post;

"I need help on how to find the culprit file(s)" and provided how to find the culprit file.  Sorry if I misinterpreted your question!

Message 8 of 10

Hi MissEmily,

I think you can likely break the link by going to the Tools tab and using the Links button as shown.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

FYI if somone out there happens to need this tool in Inventor 2010,  see this link:

http://beinginventive.typepad.com/being-inventive/2011/11/manage-links-command-in-inventor-2010.html

Message 9 of 10
MissEmily
in reply to: ampster401

Oh, no worries, you told me something I already knew and completely forgot until you reminded me. I should have been in the .ipt to begin with instead of digging around the massive assembly looking for an answer that was in front of me. It would have been nice if my forgetfulness had solved it, but unfortunately, narrowing which .ipt was causing the conflict isn't helping in this instance. Thanks for pointing out what I should have been looking at. You helped 🙂

Message 10 of 10
MissEmily

THAT'S HOW YOU BREAK DEAD LINKS!!!!

Thank you!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report