Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error Splitting Curved Faces

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
sideshowgabe
319 Views, 2 Replies

Error Splitting Curved Faces

Hi,

I'm having trouble trimming two solids and fitting them together. I have a part that consists of two revolutions - an ellipsoid and a curved cone - and I'm trying to embed the cone in the ellipsoid (which I've done) and trim the excess (which I have not been able to figure out). I need to trim the part of the cone that sticks out from the ellipsoid, and trim the part of the ellipsoid that blocks what's left of the cone. So the end result should look sort of like a football with a small bowl flush mounted inside it.

But I can't figure out how to get Inventor to acknowledge the intersection of the two pieces -- I tried to draw an intersection curve in a 3d sketch, but when I try to select a second face it doesn't respond. I managed to include a yellow line that looks like an intersection curve (but apparently isn't) by using the "include geometry" command, but if I try to split the part using that line, I get an error saying that it doesn't fully intersect the faces I'm trying to split (though from a visual perspective it obviously does).

Any suggestions for how to go about this properly would be super helpful. Thanks!!!

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
MingweiGao
in reply to: sideshowgabe

Hello,

I had a look at your provided model and tried to get the result. Below are some ideas of this model:

1. If you want to use multi-solid method, you need to change the Revolution4 feature to another solid, refer to attached picture:Multi-solid.png;

2. I think the 3D curves in here is useless;

3. The better way may use surfaces to trim the solids seperately and combine them together. The details can refer to the attached model; 

4. If the result is not your expected, you can change the copied surfaces or adjust the direction of sculpts to get your result.

Hope this can resolve your problem.

Thanks,

Steven Gao

Sr. SQA Engineer

Tags (1)
Message 3 of 3
sideshowgabe
in reply to: MingweiGao

Thank you! Very much appreciated!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report