Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equation for catenary curve

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
ehaubjerg
5860 Views, 7 Replies

Equation for catenary curve

I am designing a part that has the shape of a catenary. In order to make it right the first time, I want to shape the catenary af the exact equation and not by making a spline between points.

I am not a math genius nor an Inventor genius, so I someone could tell me the input (see attachment) I would be pleased!

The equation I need to draw (metric) is this: f(x) = -(2.0272/2)*(e^(x/2.0272)+e^(-x/2.0272))

The part is 3800mm wide and 2200mm high (see attachment 2)

I am looking forward to your suggestions!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
karthur1
in reply to: ehaubjerg

I could not get this to look exactly like your picture. I think my equation is correct.  Here is what I used for the equations.  Set your units to Meters.

x(t) = t

yt) = -1.0136 ul * ( pow(2.71828 ul;( t / 2.0272 ul )) + pow(2.71828 ul;( -t / 2.0272 ul )))

tmin = -1.9   tMax = 1.9

Here is what this looks like.  Maybe you can tweak it and get it to work. If I get some more time, I will also look at this again.

2013-01-28_1357.png

Message 3 of 8
ehaubjerg
in reply to: karthur1

Hi again.

Thank you very much for your reply. I worked out perfect. I am sorry, however, to tell you that I provided you the wrong equation - no wonder that you had trouble getting it right. The correct equation is f(x)= -(1063.35/2)*(e^(x/1063.35)+e^(-x/1063.35))

Sorry for that. However, I simply change the 2.0272 with 1063.35 and there it was!

You saved my day!

BR,

Esben

Message 4 of 8
mjkayali

can you plz upload the final file

Message 5 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: mjkayali

@mjkayali wrote:

can you plz upload the final file

Equation Curve.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 6 of 8
mjkayali
in reply to: JDMather

thank you so much..

the catenary curve line can be drawn using the formula y=a*cosh9(x/a) you wrote it in an other form 

i want to know is it possible to use a with your form 

i need to creat a catenary arch with specifiek width and high so i need to keep changing a to find the high im looking for

thank you

Message 7 of 8
karthur1
in reply to: mjkayali

Here is the file.

Kirk

Message 8 of 8
mjkayali

thank you so much.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report