Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enter a short general description when creating a new part

21 REPLIES 21
Message 1 of 22
Anonymous
1238 Views, 21 Replies

Enter a short general description when creating a new part

Hello!
When creating a new part, assembly or presentation I get this stupid
dialog telling me to enter a description (see attachment). I cannot
figure out if it is an Inventor 2009 standard dialog or some stupid
Add-in. does anyone recognize this?
21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
stephengibson76
in reply to: Anonymous

goto tools, addins and see whats loaded
Stephen Gibson

View stephen gibson's profile on LinkedIn

Message 3 of 22
mcgyvr

or look in the vba editor.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 22
Yijiang.Cai

It looks that it should not be a R2009 standard dialog, but it is very possible from an Add-in or VBA Macro.

Thanks,
River
Thanks,
River Cai

Inventor Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Email: River-Yijiang.Cai@autodesk.com
Message 5 of 22
rgowensY3EXR

We are running 2008 and are having the same issue. Did you ever find a solution?

Message 6 of 22

@rgowensY3EXR 

WOW...  2008 version   😀

Like as indicated here already, have you check your Inventor Add-ins?   This isn't a standard Inventor function and most likely this is coming from some 3rd party add-in, program or macro that's enabled.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 7 of 22

Hi @rgowensY3EXR 

I think we've seen this question come up a few times over the years. I'm pretty sure if you look in the part template that your install of Inventor is using, you will find something in that file that is presenting this message.

If you would like you can zip up a part file that exhibited this issue, and/or the part template file that is being used and we can take a look for you.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 8 of 22

Wow, I'm surprised anyone is monitoring this thread anymore...

We have gone through our add-ins with no luck. Also run through the xml file and nothing jumped out. I attached a snip of our add-ins. Any ideas what specifically we would be looking for in the xml? The description that is being referenced populates in the iProperties.

PS I mislabeled the attachment. It is 2008 not 2018.

Message 9 of 22

Disable all addin, restart Inventor and it still popup?

Message 10 of 22

@Frederick_Law  We have tried this already.

@Curtis_Waguespack  A number of us use the same project file housed on our server. Only about 80% of us are experiencing the issue. For security reasons we don't want to share our project files with our information in it. 

Thanks for ya'll assistance with this issue.

Message 11 of 22
mcgyvr
in reply to: rgowensY3EXR

What is that Smarteam addin stuff? 

Compare addins with those that aren't having this pop up..

Also ensure you are using the exact same template files it could be ilogic code in them..

Or look at "Manage... Event Triggers" in the ilogic pane... Any rules there in any of the tabs set to fire in new parts,etc.... 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 12 of 22

Macro?

Message 13 of 22

Hi @rgowensY3EXR 

I understand not being able to post the file,  give this a try 

• Open a file that shows this message
  • Press Alt+F11
  • In the resulting VBA editor look at the project pane and find the node for this document 
  • Dig around and look for any custom code in the Application and Document Projects

This image shows the document project for a part file called 12.ipt , but there is another Application project and a document project for another file called Drawing1 shown

aaa.png

My guess is that there is something in the document project for this document, so you would remove it and then save this as your *.ipt template so that it is removed from the template file

Make sure everything is backed up of course. And if you find something you, you might post back to this thread to let us know what it is for the future.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 14 of 22
Curtis_Waguespack
in reply to: mcgyvr

@mcgyvr wrote:

What is that Smarteam addin stuff? 

That's another possibility, one of the users that reported this in the past had that addin also, but never reported back what the solution was.

Message 15 of 22

@Curtis_Waguespack @mcgyvr Smarteam is our vault system, the reason we are still in 2008. We have already disabled all the addins and tried it that way. No Luck.

Message 16 of 22

@rgowensY3EXR 

But if you are using Smarteam as your vaulting system, that's how Smarteam works because it needs a record card for everything that you are putting into Smarteam..   Are you just starting to see this prompt or what?   Meaning this is part of the Smarteam add-in for Inventor...

Update:  Disabling the Smarteam addin it is not what you want to do if you're working with Smarteam as your vaulting system.   I've had my share of SmarTeam admin duties at my last company (and some point we dropped it)...  😁

Mark Lancaster

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 17 of 22

@Mark.Lancaster As I understand Smarteam, it's pulling it's information from the iproperties of the file. The description is only one of the fields pulled in by smarteam. It does not ask for any of the other fields.

Additionally we experience this with parts that are not referenced by smarteam in any way. I don't think it is a smarteam issue. Again, we all use smarteam and all reference the same project file, but only about 80% of us experience the issue. I could be wrong though, we just experienced an inventor crippling issue where the culprit was a COM addin in excel for a pdf reader application. Seemingly nothing to do with inventor...

Message 18 of 22

@rgowensY3EXR 

If I remember my Smarteam admin days that description was always a mandatory field and that's why its asked and nothing else.   But I could be wrong..  Its been numerous years since I managed it and was (very) happy when we finally dropped it.   Yes if you can't tell, I hated SmarTeam while using it with Autodesk products.

In addition any model structure going into Smarteam has to have a record card so not sure what you mean by "parts that are not referenced by smarteam in any way".   Even if its not going into Smarteam, Smarteam add-in doesn't know that and still prompts for it.

In the end I don't know your system or Smarteam configuration and its been a while but I do remember that description box popping up when we used Smarteam with Inventor.  Have you checked with those who manage your Smarteam environment?   Funny thing we had a staff just dedicated to Smarteam...

Mark Lancaster

Message 19 of 22

@Curtis_Waguespack I went through this and there was nothing...

Message 20 of 22

@Mark.Lancaster Gotcha, What I mean is that we can disable the smarteam addin, create a new part and still get the issue. 

We have been trying to move away from smarteam as a vault system and upgrade to inventor 2020, but that has been a roughly 2 year process. Too many files it seems like in the vault. The transition team keeps hitting roadblocks.

We have worked with our CAD admin. Allegedly this has been resolved in the ancient past when Autodesk and Dassault Systemes were a little more willing to help out, but the CAD admin of that era is no longer here and neither company supports software that old. All of our computers have been swapped out a few times since then too.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report