Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ellipse perimeter formula - length of a panel

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
autodesk_inventor_user
1244 Views, 14 Replies

Ellipse perimeter formula - length of a panel

I am trying to input ellipse formula into the part parameters so I get the lenght of the part.

p=2*PI*Sqrt(((a*a)+(b*b))/2)

According to Inventor Help, this should work:

Sqrt() Return the square root of the argument.

Sqrt(25) = 5

Sqrt(100) = 10

Sqrt(3) = 1.732051

Any ideas why it does not for me?

Basically Inventor highligst red and wont accept Sqrt(value).

Thanks.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

You have to get the units matched as well (for example Sqrt(1mm) for a length doesn't make sense.
But do you really need to calculate this - could you use sheet metal and let Inventor calculate?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 15

I have units in mm and when input Sqrt(25mm) it still will not accept it.

I wanted to use the part I have, inputting for its length ellipse perimeter formula divided by 2 because my part is a half of epllise. This is nothing complicated enough to go into lenghts of converting the ipt ino sheet metal part. I should be able to input formula using minor and major axxis value and should be done.

Well, it would be done in one minute if Inventor accepted the formula.

Message 4 of 15

Inventor's functions are case-sensitive.  It's not Sqrt(), it is sqrt().  When I input your formula with the case correction, it works just fine.

-cwhetten

Message 5 of 15

One way

PDSU 2016
Message 6 of 15

Sounds like a unit mis-match to me.  mm^(1/2) doesn't make sense.

Also - sounds like if you know the major and minor axis this is a trivail problem with no calculations required.
What is minor axis
What is major axis
What is material
What is thickness?
How will the part be manufactured?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 7 of 15

( 2 * PI * sqrt(( ( 1790.7 ul * 1790.7 ul ) + ( 1968.5 ul * 1968.5 ul ) ) / 2 ul) ) / 2ul

This formula works for my perimeter.

Just wondered, tried to input: pow(1790, 2)  to have 1790 raised to 2 power. Did not work. Any ideas?

Message 8 of 15

The correct syntax is pow(1790;2).  Note the use of a semicolon instead of a comma.  You may also have some units issues here depending on which unit your result needs to be.

As for your original ellipse formula, you don't need to do everything with 'ul' units.  Your original formula works just fine when a and b have 'mm' units (when you use sqrt() instead of Sqrt(), of course).

-cwhetten

Message 9 of 15

Thanks.

Thats kinda weird that Inventor Help shows functions starting with capitol letters (Sqrt) and uses comma instead of semicolon for power function. Its confusing.

Thanks.

Message 10 of 15

What version of Inventor are you using?  I am using 2011, and the help file shows the correct information.

Message 11 of 15

When I go F1, ilogic, functions, math functions, other math functions, it displays the info the way I described it.

Message 12 of 15

Yes, you're right.  I see.  Those functions are only correct in the iLogic editor.  You use them in your iLogic code.  The functions I was talking about are in your Parameters editor.

You can find the ones I was refering to here:  F1 > Autodesk Inventor > Assemblies > Functional design > Functions, prefixes, and algebraic operators.

I never noticed until now that they are not consistent. Smiley Surprised   That's really unfortunate that we have to remember two different syntaxes for each function, and which one applies in which environment.  Smiley Sad  No wonder there was confusion! 

-cwhetten

Message 13 of 15

Good to know.

Final version:

( 2 ul * PI * sqrt(( ( pow(( d62 / 2 ul );2 ul) + pow(( d63 / 2 ul );2 ul) ) / 2 ul )) ) / 2 ul

Message 14 of 15

No need to use the pow function, just use the exponentiation operator: ^

So the formula simplifies a bit:

( 2 ul * PI * sqrt((( d62 / 2 ul ) ^ 2 ul + ( d63 / 2 ul ) ^ 2 ul ) / 2 ul )) / 2 ul

Message 15 of 15

Thats even simpler!

Thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report