Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edits are not allowed on this file

27 REPLIES 27
SOLVED
Message 1 of 28
killbox
5516 Views, 27 Replies

Edits are not allowed on this file

I'm using Inventor Pro 2013 as a single user (no vault).  Please see the attached error.  I was placing parts and I think I pulled one outside the project folder??  I got something about changing directories and I accepted it.  That may be what happened but I'm not sure.  I also noticed that in the projects box my project says (read only).

How do I get out of this?

Tags (1)
27 REPLIES 27
Message 2 of 28
blair
in reply to: killbox

Parts that are not in the Work Directory of the Project file and are in Libraries are write protected. If you wish to edit this file, either place it in the Work Directory as defined in the Project file or create another Project file that is used explicity to edit Library parts as this directory will now be the Work directory of the Project file

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 28
SBix26

Your project may be read-only for two reasons that I can think of: the Windows read-only file attribute is set, or you have files open in Inventor.  Active project files are editable only when there are no files open.  (Note: for this particular purpose, you have to close all open files; undo opening a file is not the same thing in this case).

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 1
Windows XP Pro 32-bit, SP3
HP EliteBook 8730w; 4 GB RAM; Core™ 2 Duo T9400 2.53 GHz; Quadro FX2700M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.7.18
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Message 4 of 28
killbox
in reply to: SBix26

Still lost on this.  I understand that all the parts need to be in one location.  How would I know what parts are open?  Inventor has basically locked me out of my own file.  I can't do anything to it other than look at it.  I figured if a part was in the wrong location it would say part X is missing.  I could go find it or close it if I knew what it was.  This is crazy.

I have attached the project log.  Is there something there that would help figure this out?  Is there a way to reset the entire file? 

Message 5 of 28
SBix26

In your project, click the + sign next to Libraries.  Any folder in that list, while this project is active, is read-only for Inventor.  So, according to the error message you are receiving, the file you are trying to edit is in one of those folders.  As Blair pointed out, you either have to move the file out of the folder, or change the designation of the folder as a Library.  To change the designation of the folder, either edit your project and remove it from the Libraries list, or change to a different project that doesn't have it marked as a library.

The problem is not with your file.  It's just that you are not yet familiar with how projects work in Inventor and what they can do for you.  Your file is in a protected location, so you can't edit it, which is what libraries are for.  But this is all controlled by the project file.

Sam B

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 6 of 28
killbox

I've attached a picture of my files and folders.  I have done a "save as" in the past.  The original file was called "frame_skel" then "frame_skel_error".  It is now named "cnc_table"  but I don't see a folder for that.  It this the problem?  Also, the "frame_skel_error" folder is empty.  Not sure why it's there.

Is it a bad idea to do a "save as"?  I do this from time to time to be able to go back to a old version.  At this point could I just save this assembly in another folder and start fresh?

Message 7 of 28
SBix26

This doesn't appear to be a Library issue-- in fact your Libraries both show red (not found).  But I see you have another project called Autoloader-- are you using Vault?  If so, there might be something in your setup there, but I have no experience with Vault, so can't help.

But, one more thing to check in the project file: Content Center files.  Look in the Folder Options-- if it gives a folder path, what is it?  If it says [Default], what is the folder path in Application Options > File > Default Content Center files?  The reason I'm asking is because this location is treated the same as a Library-- uneditable.

Sam B

Message 8 of 28
mrattray

Are we sure none of the files got marked as read-only in Windows?

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 9 of 28
blair

Inventor keeps old versions in the "Old Versions" inside each work directory with a version number inserted between the file name and extension name.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 10 of 28
SBix26

How about this: try editing your project file (close all files first) and remove the two Library paths.  They show red, indicating (I think) that they are not found or are otherwise invalid.  But one of them has the same name as the folder you are working in, so perhaps Inventor has it tagged as an uneditable.

Sam B

Message 11 of 28
killbox

I decided to delete the red inventor files in the libraries folder.  I deleted one and tried  it.  Still got he error.  Then I went back and deleted the other.  The errors went away.  I placed a part and saved the file.  It worked fine.  Do I need to add the library path back in?   I figure it's there for a reason and I'll find out the hard way.  I don't want to do mare damage.

Message 12 of 28
blair

No you don't need a library path. The reason for Libraries is to make the parts read-only. If you are working on a project and design a number of parts for that project. Another project comes along and you realize that you can use some of the parts from the first project, it would then be wise to add the folder/directory in which the first project parts reside as a directory. This still allows you to use the parts but not accidentally edit the parts.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 13 of 28
killbox
in reply to: blair

I just went to place a part and got the attached message.  What do I do with this?  This may have been the part that got things messed up before.  Other parts don't ask for the location.  The part is in the correct folder.  What is a proxy file?

Message 14 of 28
blair

Is this file in the same directory that is your work directory?

Haven't delt with DWG Mechanical drawings in so long I forget all the details.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 15 of 28
killbox

Yes, I downloaded it from a 3D parts site and added it to the work directory.  It's a servo motor I would like to use in the model.  They didn't have the correct format, but I have been told that Inventor can deal with lots of formats.  Maybe I'll go back and get the Solidworks format and see what that does.

Message 16 of 28
killbox

The Solidworks version works fine.  So It may be a compatibility issue.

Message 17 of 28
blair

You might need to open this part in Inventor first, which do the conversion and save, rather than trying to place it in a assembly first.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 18 of 28
maximeURGVK

This is more the reason of the problem than an actual solution in my opinion

Message 19 of 28

@maximeURGVK wrote:

This is more the reason of the problem than an actual solution in my opinion

Do you have any interest in finding an actual solution to your problem?

Message 20 of 28
blair
in reply to: maximeURGVK

This thread is over 5-1/2 years old. 

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report