Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Editing the factory

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
673 Views, 3 Replies

Editing the factory

I created a presentation (.ipn) of an iAssembly, which then created a version -01 of the iAssembly. It appears to be linked to the original iAssembly, which is good, but when I change the original iAssembly, save, and try to update the -01 version, I get the following error "Member 601-01.iam must be updated from factory 601.iam. Regenerate the member file by editing the factory". What does this mean and what do I do?
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
johnsonshiue
in reply to: Anonymous

You have to open the iAssembly factory iam file and right-click on the specific member from the table tree on browser->Generate Files.
After that, the member should be up-to-date. If not, please let me know.
Thanks!

Johnson Shiue
johnson.shiue@autodesk.com

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 4
swalton

I have to delete any existing members before "Generate Files" actually updates those existing members. I assume that this is by design, but I don't understand the design. If I make an assembly that only contains the existing members, I can hit the update button and actually have the changes to the factory reflected in the members which is better than deleting them, but not much.

Of course, now that I am using Vault, anytime I add a row to the factory, I get to check out all of the existing members, update them in my assembly and check them back in. Anoying. I can see requireing an update if I had added a new column to the table, but a new row is silly. Iparts and Iassemblies seem to assume that you know all of the varients that you ever plan to make to the factory at the time of creation and that you never plan to edit the tables at some point in the future.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

That worked great, thanks.

I don't understand why it wouldn't do that on it's own when you save it, but that method works.

Thanks again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report