Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Editing instance of part from content center

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
rhayes
404 Views, 6 Replies

Editing instance of part from content center

I'm fairly new to Inventor. I've been tasked to turn our 2D cad dwgs to 3D in inventor.

I'm working on a frame at the moment, I got all the square and rectangular tube from the CC and constrained them to match the CAD dwg, now I need to add the mounting holes but if I add holes to one copy all the copies get the holes.

What option can I use to make each instance stand alone?

Ron

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
jtylerbc
in reply to: rhayes

This isn't a direct answer to your question, but are  you familiar with the Frame Generator in Inventor?  If you aren't, and are modeling frames from CC tubes, you're almost certainly doing it the hard way.  This also indirectly answers your question because Frame Generator places all of the frame elements as seperate parts, whether you want it to or not.  So, if you were using that method, it would already be in the condition you are trying to get to.

To seperate the tubes in the exisitng assembly, I would suggest using the "Save and Replace Component" command, located in the Productivity panel of the Assemble tab.

Message 3 of 7
Cadmanto

Ron,

John is right.  Frame generator is a better and faster way to go.  As far as adding your hole, you could do an assembly cut and add the holes at this level.

If you post an image of what it is you are trying to create, maybe we can offer even more suggestions.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 7
jtylerbc
in reply to: Cadmanto

@Cadmanto wrote:

As far as adding your hole, you could do an assembly cut and add the holes at this level.

Yes, that's true as well.  My suggestion would be to mimic the real fabrication process - if the holes are going to be drilled in the tubes before the frame is welded, put them in the parts.  If the holes are going to be drilled after weld, put them at the assembly level as Cadmanto mentioned.

Message 5 of 7
blair

Or just create a new instance of the CC part with a new file name. Doing a multi places of the same item would be no different than placing the same part in your IAM and trying to modify only a single instance of it.

If the item is a mirror of the other side, then possibly use the Derive with the Mirror function.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 7
Cadmanto
in reply to: jtylerbc

John,

I get that and agree.  I was looking strictly from a CAD modeling standpoint.  Understanding that trying to put holes in individual components from the CC can be a headache.  Not to mention if you have Vault, you have to remember to download these parts as "Custom" or Vault will crab at you from a file naming perspective.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 7 of 7
rhayes
in reply to: jtylerbc

I wish I new about the Frame generator earlier!

Just did the tutorial.

I'll try editing from the assembly level for now.

Ron

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report