Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Editing Prompted Entry

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
A_Harro
1602 Views, 16 Replies

Editing Prompted Entry

I have a sketched symbol with some prompted entry text. all at 2mm text height. i need to change the text height to 5mm.. when i do that by editing the sketched symbol and save,  the symbol updates but i have to re-type in all the prompted entry text.

Nice feature if you want to re-do all your work!!

Please tell me this is fixed in 2013 inventor. im stuck in 2010 , is there a hotfix ? 😞

😞 Grrrrrrrr

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
streharg
in reply to: A_Harro

How do you change text height? With style or manual in edit text window? (actually, there's no difference)

I tried to change height in inv 2011 and 2013, and it works as it should, text is bigger, and more important, it stays.

Greg

PDSU 2016
4790K, 32 Gb ram, GTX 960 ...
Fancy HP LCD
🙂
Message 3 of 17
A_Harro
in reply to: streharg

i know how to edit normal text. Im talking about prompted entry text in a Sketched Symbol.

If you edit definition of the symbol then do edit text, you can change the promted entry height. However, when the symbol is then saved, it refreshes in the idw and it then wants to you re-enter the text that you already had in those prompted entry fields.

Message 4 of 17
streharg

I am talking about prompted entry also. As i said, i tried to change height of normal text and promted entry text in skeched symbol.

I placed my sketched symbol with prompted entries on drawing, rmb to edit definition, rmb to edit text (both ordinary, and prompted), then changed height, clicked save, finish sketch, save edits - clicked yes, and it promted to enter text again (but it was still there), and i just clicked ok, and it updated to new height.

So, it's working in inv 2011 and 2013 (with and without sp)

Hope i was more clear.

Greg

PDSU 2016
Fancy HP LCD
🙂
Message 5 of 17
A_Harro
in reply to: streharg

Sorry i get what you are saying. sounds exactly like what im doing, but unfortunately all the text is missing.. maybe its a 'feature' of 2010 inventor 😞

Message 6 of 17
streharg

Sorry to hear that. Hope you'll solve that issue asap.

Greg

PDSU 2016
Fancy HP LCD
🙂
Message 7 of 17
Anonymous

I just tested in 2013, you can change the text height in a symbold without re-entering the values.

Message 8 of 17
jletcher

Do you have all the updates load in 2010? I have never had this issue when I changed my text height in 2010.

In this symbol the prompt field are they all filled in or are some blank?

Lets say your symbol has 3 prompts but you fill in only 1 or it is one prompt ?

This matters because whenever you change a symbol and there are blank fields after saving the symbol it will go and ask you to enter the empty ones but it should not take out what you have put in.

Message 9 of 17
A_Harro

Thanks for all the replies.

I am running INV 2010 sp 4, believe its all upto date.

i have 3 separate prompted entries in my symbol. they are 3 separated bits of txt that i can edit.

I can right click "edit field text', i can changed the text and its fine.

when i want to change the height i right click 'edit definition' then select my text, right click 'edit text'

i then change the height, ok & save.  the prompted text box appears, the value is empty 😞

i have attached an idw with a symbol in it that has some prompted entry text, see if it happens to you.

Also some screen captures;

capturea = my symbol in the doc. (prompted entry are the "AAA", "BBB" "CCC" fields)

capturec = symbol after editing the height of the AAA , showing blank field

Message 10 of 17
streharg

Just opened your idw in inv 2013 sp1, and it works ok here.! Prompted entry text do change and it stays.

PDSU 2016
Fancy HP LCD
🙂
Message 11 of 17
jletcher

)It should only ask to fill in the empty ones not all. Did you follow thru with it or got scared and undo all the changes?

I have done this but never lost information that was already there it just wanted me to fill in the empty ones. I just hit ok till it was done going thru all of them and what info was there was still there.

2012 Factory Design Suite ( will not load 2013)

Message 12 of 17
A_Harro
in reply to: jletcher

Thanks for the replies guys,

Nice to see it working in version 2013. Maybe i'll just put up with it and wait till we upgrade.

As you could see in the 2 screen captures, captureA shows the fields filled in, capturec shows what happens after the edit definition and edit text height in the symbol editor. I dont see how i can do anything different than what appears on the screen. If i hit ok or cancel, all the text is still missing.

I shall test on another inventor machine here and see if its just my computer or a bug across all of release 2010. maybe we missed a hotfix ?

thanks for all the ideas though.

cheers.

Message 13 of 17
A_Harro

Just tested on another 2010 machine in the office here and the same thing happens.

I have a new pc being built with 2010 and 2013 on it, so when thats ready i shall test on that.

I guess i'll just have to put up with this feature 🙂 lol.

Message 14 of 17
jletcher

May I ask how you changed the text? did you delete and then put new in or did you change it with the drop down.

Because as I said never had this issue you are having so it may be in the way you are doing it.

I change my text with Annotate.

Drop.JPG

Message 15 of 17
Curtis_Waguespack

Hi buffs_star,

I was able to reproduce this in Inventor 2010 SP4.

FYI, it looks like any format change causes the issue ( I changed the text color and it caused the problem).

You might look at the link below for a hotfix, but I took a quick look and didn't see anything.

Autodesk Inventor Service Packs and Hotfixes
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=5809395&linkID=9242019

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 16 of 17

SP4 must be the issue I don't have that loaded only have SP2.

Message 17 of 17
A_Harro
in reply to: jletcher

ive never been so happy to see someone else with the same error!! fantastic that its not just me!.

so its inv 2010 sp 4.

thanks for everyone confirming that i wasnt going crazy. Will review the hotfixes, but it would be nice if some Autodesk person could comment!! not everyone can afford to upgrade to fix these small issues.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report