Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Editing Posts

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
Cadmanto
675 Views, 15 Replies

Editing Posts

This is probably an ignorance question, but I have noticed that if I start a thread I can edit the

posting, but if I respond I cannot edit that posting.  How do you edit a response posting?

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
JDMather
in reply to: Cadmanto

You have to edit within a certain time period or something.
At some point you can no longer edit a response.

Notice that I edited this to add image.

Edit.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 16
Cadmanto
in reply to: JDMather

Wow, do you have any idea how long that time period is?  Why would there be a time limit?

I just responded to a post and I wanted to add a link and when I went back (all be it was probably 5 or so minutes later)

wouldn't allow me to edit my original posting even though I was the only one that had responded.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 4 of 16
JDMather

Well I'm just guessing based on experience that there is actually a time limit - I think there is something else involved as well as I think I have edited much older (than 5 minutes) threads.

But if you think about it - it would make sense to have some sort of time limit and then  require a new response to "clarify" an earlier responses.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 5 of 16
Cadmanto

Well, that is all based on the way the forum is setup.

If you think about it, it really doesn't make sense to not be able to edit a posting at any time.

What if you spell something wrong and notice it 3 days later?  You should be able to go back an re-edit it.

Or be able to add or delete anything from the posting.  I belong to other forums and you can edit at any time.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 6 of 16
JDMather

I don't think too many people in this field worry that much about speeling.  Sure we try to get it right (the spelling, that is, and yes it is important to get it right), but substantially changing the content is what would cause more confusion.

If I can edit a thread 3 days later I can completely change the meaning of the response making all other responses that come after it totally confusing.

At some point, just like a design, it needs to be "set in stone" for reference.

Everything after that becomes a Revision, ECO or whatever.

EESignature

Message 7 of 16
Cadmanto

Very fair points.

But I believe it is better to have it and not use it then to not have it and not be able to use it.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 8 of 16
Discussion_Admin

Yes there is a limit of 30 minutes up to the point the post has been replied to.

But there is no limit on replies so you can just add a one to update the info as needed.

It's all about original post integrity and such covered over here in the Autodesk Discussion Groups Feedback forum in this post

Thanks
Discussion_Admin

Message 9 of 16
Cadmanto
in reply to: Discussion_Admin

Thanks for the response.

Makes sense I guess.  Just going to have to get used to it.  Like I said in my earlier post I am

used to in other forums having no time limit on edits.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 10 of 16
bcsurvey

I too wish that posts were editable full time.  The POV of maintaining integrity of thread content is valid, but it assumes that users will drastically change the content of their post when 99% of the time it's probably just to fix spelling errors and other minor things.

Here's an earth-shattering concept:

When a post is edited, have a note at the bottom saying that it was edited and at what time, maybe even a link to the original post (excluding attachments) showing what changes were made in red.

Civil 3D 2019 (6.1)
Windows 10 Pro (21H2)
(i7-11850H @ 2.50 GHz)
32GB RAM
NVIDIA RTX A2000
Message 11 of 16
Cadmanto
in reply to: bcsurvey

I am with you.  I get the integrity of the posting point, but I belong to another forum and you can edit posts anytime.  Like you said, when I have it was to change a spelling error or fix something I know I was grossly wrong about.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 12 of 16
Discussion_Admin
in reply to: bcsurvey

Thanks for the input.

Currently you can edit or delete your post up to 30 min or until there is a response this should allow enough time to make corrections to get you question across correctly.

This system has been proven to work elsewhere and here over the last few years as is it's simple to post correction reply when outside of those conditions and we just upgraded the spell check in the system which will help with most correction needs.

All of that said should there still be something major like a drawing posted with company information or the such just use the RIC ( report inappropriate content) button and moderation will help you out.

Thanks
Discussion_Admin

Message 13 of 16
JDMather

@Discussion_Admin wrote:

Currently you can edit or delete your post up to 30 min or until there is a response this should allow enough time to make corrctions to get you question across correctly. 

Better hurry up, your time is running out.

Oops, "or until there is a response."

EESignature

Message 14 of 16
Cadmanto

Times up!!!  Smiley LOL

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 15 of 16
Discussion_Admin

Just goes to show you have to use the tools available for things to work correctly Smiley Happy

Discussion_Admin

Message 16 of 16
3DSetout

Hi Moderator. .

. . therefoe the integrety of one of my posts is flawed,

b/c i have an 'ignorance correction' to make.

. . When i think i have found the answer to an IV queston i move on.

i dont read the entire thread to find corrections made to original posts.

Thanks MatB

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums