Inventor General

*Expert Elite*
Cadmanto
Message 1 of 4 (186 Views)

Editing Bolted Connections

186 Views, 3 Replies
03-21-2012 01:32 PM

We have a lot of instances where we use the bolted connections.

The problem arises that the hole location in the beam needs to be adjusted or moved causing the

connections in the model tree to show a lightening bolt symbol infront of each connection.

First question is what does this symbol mean?

Second question is we have to open each connection, edit it (even if there are no changes) and close it then the bolt goes away.  I thought the rebuild all command would have cleared this out, but it didn't.  Is there a global command, setting or way to clear and reset these connections without having to do each one individually?

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
Inventor Professional 2013
(Colossians 3:23-25)

*Expert Elite*
Curtis_Waguespack
Message 2 of 4 (175 Views)

Re: Editing Bolted Connections

03-21-2012 04:10 PM in reply to: Cadmanto

Hi Cadmanto, 

All Design Accelerators, such as the Bolted Connection tool, have a Manual Solve (lightening bolt) and an Automatic Solve mode (red and white circle and arrows). You can toggle between Manual and Automatic by right-clicking on the design accelerator component in the browser and selecting Component and then the solve mode you want to use.You can also turn the solver off.

Automatic solve mode might impact the performance of your assemblies if used indiscriminately.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

solution.png  Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or  Kudos button below.

*Expert Elite*
Cadmanto
Message 3 of 4 (171 Views)

03-21-2012 07:24 PM in reply to: Cadmanto

Curtis,

Thanks for responding.

In what way will it impact the assembly negatively?

Will it slow it down?

Is this setting global to resolve all of the bolted connections?  I ask because your response

almost makes it sound like it is something you have to to to each connection.

Scott

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
Inventor Professional 2013
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Valued Contributor
DVDM
Message 4 of 4 (159 Views)

03-21-2012 10:45 PM in reply to: Cadmanto

Yes it is a setting you need to apply to each bolted connection.

I thought the automatic solve was a great idea at first, until I discovered that in a Vaulted workflow, you will perpetually be checking out/in bolted connections because the automatic solve dirties the bolted connection and wants to save changes that never occured.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube