Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edit point or spotlight target in Inventor Studio (2012)

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Wapster
587 Views, 4 Replies

Edit point or spotlight target in Inventor Studio (2012)

Hi,

I hope someone knows the answer to this.

I'm trying to create a scene in IV Studio using point lights.

If I want to change the position of  the light's target, IV won't let me.

The option is simply not available. Not in the dialog (see attached image) an not in the graphics region (clicking the glyph's).

According to the help text, it should be possible (see attached image).

The problem persist in both normal lighting styles as in local lights.

What am I doing wrong..... Anyone

Thanks,

Wap

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Mike_Maenpaa
in reply to: Wapster

The light you have selected is a point light, which means the light is emitted in all directions.

You can't change the target. You can move it's position to affect the light on the objects in your scene.

Mike

Message 3 of 5
Wapster

Thank you Mike for your Reply

But I don't agree......

First: why is there an option of selecting a target in the first place if there's no use for it

Second: in the dialog there is an option to flip the normal direction. When doing so, the light direction (beam) changes

Third: why should there be a help topic telling us it's possible to change the target

I agree.... the (point) light emits in all directions except downwards (I think)

I'm gonna play with lights a bit and will come back again

Wap

Message 4 of 5
bejs1982

Why is this not covered thoroughly in the documentation wiki, tutorials... Have puzzled with the studio feature for weeks now, and most of the results is try and failure based.  This is certainly not time effective workflow:)

This section needs update...

Message 5 of 5
billyb

Actually, the response was correct in that point lights "should not" have a target as they are "supposed" to emit in all directions. Only spot lights "should" have targets.

That said, it would appear there are some issues with the point light.

1. It is defined by using a target node, though it shouldn't have one.
  2. Being omni-directional, nothing should change when you invert direction, but it does.
  3. Create/Edit are different workflows due to the target node noted in item 1. Edit doesn't display a target node.
  4. Selecting the light in the browser and right-clicking and choosing Move results in a display of the target node and vector line between the source and target nodes.

The wikihelp content, while correct, is vague. The topic is a Local Light which can be spot or point. It doesn't differentiate between which type you can edit using the target node.

Yessir, a couple of issues there.

Bill Bogan
- Providing freelance visualization
- Inventor: Expert
- Revit: Novice and growing...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report