Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edit-in-place not working for some parts.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
marcel3113
1168 Views, 8 Replies

Edit-in-place not working for some parts.

I am having a problem with editing in place in Inventor 2012.  Some parts will edit in place and some won't.  I have no idea why this is.  Attached are a couple of files I am using which has this problem.  This is driving me crazy because I need the other assemblies in place so that I can locate a hole inline with a threaded insert.  If someone knows what I mean, please help.  Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
JDMather
in reply to: marcel3113

Do you have the file open (in the background)?

Edit will be grayed out if the file is also open.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 9
marcel3113
in reply to: JDMather

So I closed IV and all other apps and restarted the machine.  I opened only IV and only the assembly file.  Double clicking on the piece doesn't work still.  I also right clicked on the piece and it didn't even show an option to edit the piece.  It showed just the standard right click menu.  I then tried double clicking on the item in the browser, still no luck.  Finally I tried right clicking on the item in the browser and it had the edit option but it is grayed out.  It works for the inserts but I just can't get the concrete to edit.

Message 4 of 9
JDMather

The ipt file you attached Bridge Unit.ipt is not the same file being referenced by the iam you attached Bridge Unit-01.ipt

Impossible to say what is going on if you don't submit the correct files.

Also - is that an iPart?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 9
dan_inv09

It's an iPart.

Message 6 of 9
dan_inv09
in reply to: JDMather

I suspected that could be the problem. I downloaded the parts and when the assembly wanted the -01 I looked at the part and saw the table.

You can't edit an iPart from an instance in the assembly.

Message 7 of 9
marcel3113
in reply to: dan_inv09

Oh, okay.  For some reason I thought I had done it in the past.  Must be mistaken.  thank you for your help, it is appreciated.

Message 8 of 9
swhite

Yes, you have to edit an ipart from the original, the instances it creates are not editible by themselves as they all relate back to the original ipart and to the tables. Also you can put a sketch in the assembly and extrude holes through multiple assemblies. Those holes will not appear in the parts, useful when you want the parts made and only holes drilled once they are assembles for alignment purposes.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 9 of 9
marcel3113
in reply to: swhite

Yeah, that makes complete sense now that I think about it.  Thanks all.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report