Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edit Dimension of workplane is not appearing

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
MakkaPakka
1238 Views, 2 Replies

Edit Dimension of workplane is not appearing

I am having a problem with editing the dimension of offset workplanes.

Its odd because it seems to have occurred for no apparent reason and it was working before. I have an assembly of about 8 parts. One part I want to edit is adaptive to another part using an extrusion with a 'To' distance to an offset plane from that other part. When I double click the plane to edit the dimension the edit box does not appear as expected. Neither does RMB on the plane in the browser work - Edit Dimension is just not there. most of my other offset planes are showing similar behaviour in this assembly. There are various cross adaptability links between parts in the assembly, I wonder if I have accidently created some kind of locked up loop by doing this. Would Inventor flag this if I did? I have tried deleting the old plane and creating a new one from the same surface but as soon as I enter the dimension to create it, the new plane immediately displays the same behaviour as the old one and will not allow me to edit it again. (I did drag the new plane above the extrusion in the tree to remake the 'To' distance.)

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
MakkaPakka
in reply to: MakkaPakka

I have managed to solve my problem by experimentation:

When you create an offset workplane from a surface plane in another part in an assembly, the new plane and the part you have placed it in become adaptable to the other part - which is what I wanted. However what you don't immediately see is that Inventor creates a new constraint between the plane in the part you are working on and the part that you selected for the plane offset. Its not visible until you 'return' to the main assembly. This new constraint is set to the offset dimension that you applied when creating the plane. You can edit the offset of the plane by editing the constraint in the main assembly. You cannot however double click or RMB the plane to change the offset dimension while editing the part. I think an alert indication is missing here from the program that would point you to the new constraint when creating offset planes in adaptable assemblies.

Message 3 of 3
bruce.buck
in reply to: MakkaPakka

Thanks for this info! We were stuggling quite a bit trying to figure out what was going on.

Inventor 2015 SP1 Build 203 Update 3
Vault Professional 2015 Build 19.1.13.0 Update 1
AutoCAD 2015 SP2 J.210.0.1
NavisWorks Manage 2015 SP3 12.3.0.115750
PLM360

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report