Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamic Simulation: Power cable falls with gravity?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
synapse709
1504 Views, 6 Replies

Dynamic Simulation: Power cable falls with gravity?

Hello all,

Im trying to figure out if Inventor's dynamic simulation can simulate gravity on rope or cable shaped solids.

I have a power cord design that I want to display with its cords in various natural positions (IE Flat on a table, hanging from a wall, etc). (see image attached)

My questions are as follows:

1. Can dynamic simulation simulate a rope/cable type object falling with gravity to a natural hanging position?

2. If it can, can I also then save the resulting new shape/model and export it to showcase for rendering (or render within Inventor)?

3. I am currently creating the cords using the sweep command. Using this seems like it may cause problems for the simulation. If I use the wiring harness design part of inventor to create the power cables can it then simulate the cables naturally falling and resting due to the forces of gravity? I know the wiring harness design area is built in, but I have never even opened it before... if this is the solution a short guide would also be very appreciated!

Cheers in advance!

Image and .iam file attached.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
synapse709
in reply to: synapse709

I added another assembly file that includes the cables connected via "segments". Is this correct to begin with? I also attempted to run FEA analysis by adding gravity to the scene and fix constraining the wall plug, but it just kept calculating for over an hour without any results.

Message 3 of 7
blair

The FEA shipped with Inventor is linear analysis. That sort of deformation/deflection would entail non-linear analysis.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 4 of 7
synapse709

Does that mean that Autodesk Simulation would include those types of features? If so, can you explain the process in simple terms about what is needed to get the results I am seeking? IE: does it work with solid bodies or wire segments?

Thanks for the reply
Message 5 of 7
blair

As stated the FEA shipped with Inventor only handles linear stress analysis. Inventor only handles isotropic materials, your wire will have different properties for different directions of axis.

Not sure how else to say, it can't be done in Inventor.

Also, attaching the IAM file without any of the related IPT files is useless. The IAM file is only a database the contains constraints and the location/position of the IPT files.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 7
synapse709
in reply to: blair

Yes, I understood that. You will notice I wrote "Autodesk Simulation", not "Inventor Dynamic Simulation" or "Inventor FEA.

I was referring to these products: http://www.autodesk.com/products/autodesk-simulation-family/compare/cfd-products

Perhaps CFD Advanced or CFD Motion?

Message 7 of 7
synapse709

Any idea how this was accomplish within inventor?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg7x8j6wZ6A

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report