Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamic Simulation - Ball on Track

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
RobJV
1483 Views, 7 Replies

Dynamic Simulation - Ball on Track

Hi,

Within dynamic simulation, I am trying to have a ball follow a track made of (2) rods,  I can do it if the rods are straight but I do not know how to properly apply joints to allow the ball to follow the tracks when they are turning.  Are there some tips on how to accomplish this?  I need to do this within dynamic simulation because I also hope to add a chain and sprockets with a ball holder to bring the ball back up to the top.

I am very experienced with Inventor but using dynamic simulation is somewhat new to me and I am not sure I can accomplish this.

Thanks,

Rob

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: RobJV

Can you attach the assembly here?

Have you tried a Spatial joint and 3D Contact joints?

Define Gravity.

http://forums.autodesk.com/autodesk/attachments/autodesk/78/295240/1/Loop%20d%20Loop.gif

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 8
RobJV
in reply to: JDMather

I have tried all 3 of those things at different times but obviously not correctly.  I will attach my assembly.  Please note that the track is not correct and is not realistic - only used to try to get the ball to follow for a little while.  (I know that is not fully constrained.)

Thanks for taking a look.

Files are INV 2013.

Message 4 of 8
henderh

Hi Rob,

We had a discussion about a similar model here: 3D-Contact-and-Spatial-Joints-Challenge

As JD said, you'll need a spatial joint between the ball and the track to set up the degrees of freedom of the mechanism.  Add a 3D contact with some friction, apply gravity and it should get you going.

I've attached an R2013 quick mockup simulation to illustrate. 

Thanks! -Hugh

ball_rolling_track.png

Hugh Henderson
QA Engineer (Fusion Simulation)
Message 5 of 8
JDMather

I will not have access to my 2013 machine until tomorrow, but a couple of things -

You only need one Spatial joint to get the ball out of the Grounded group and into the Mobile Group with 6 degrees of freedom.

Why did you create the ball from a cylinder rather than revolve a half circle or better yet, use the Sphere command?

You will need a little rotational velocity or at least a slight downward ramp to the track to start the ball moving, otherwise gravity pulls it straight down - and there it will sit when it hits the track.

Also you need the 3D Contact.

Well, I see Hugh posted an example while I was typing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 8
henderh

Sorry Guys, I didn't hit refresh before I posted Smiley Happy

I added some initial velocity and a 3D contact to your assembly.  It seems like the curvature of the track is too sharp to keep the ball captive.

Best regards, -Hugh

Hugh Henderson
QA Engineer (Fusion Simulation)
Message 7 of 8
RobJV
in reply to: henderh

I will take a look - thanks for the example!

Message 8 of 8
RobJV
in reply to: JDMather

Hi JD,

I understand the slight downward section of the track being needed - I was just going to adjust gravity angle to get the ball moving in the meantime.  (The track is not correct - just did quickly to get something going.)  I know about revolving and sphere - felt like being different and if I did not do that you would not be able to ask me any typical JD questions. 🙂

I am going over Hugh's example right now and will post more if I need more info on what exactly was selected for the two objects.

Thank you guys!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report