Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicating a Vault Project & Renaming Every Related File

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
shmartin89
454 Views, 3 Replies

Duplicating a Vault Project & Renaming Every Related File

I want to duplicate & then rename a project I have stored on my vault computer, However I am experiencing many difficulties.

There are probably around 1000 + files in this project-multiple assemblies/drawings & parts.

Initially i did a Pack & Go of the Project to my desktop. I then took my first top level drawings & using Design Assistant renamed all the reference parts and assemblies related too it. This worked fine, albiet a very long time to rename all the files.

The problem is that i have say 50 drawing files, some contain similar assemblies/part files which will have already been rename in the first top level drawing & some container different assemblies/parts (which are not related to the first top level drawing) & will have to be renamed seperately.

Is there an easier way to duplicate & rename a vault project because design assitant makes this task extremely labourious. An great tool to add would be to 'Find & Replace' a file name & apply it too all the files. Similar to the function in Microsoft Word.

I have looked into the copy design feature in vault however, you can only copy a project within a project, you cannot copy it to a competely new foldder in the vault.

The other problem is, is that you can only add a preffix or suffex to every file/related part/assembly, & i would rather replace the project numebr rather then add the new project number to the file names. This would be a viable option if you could rename multiple files quickly, however this just stems back to the design assistant.

Has anyone tried to do a similar thing?

Cheers,

Sandy

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
cbenner
in reply to: shmartin89

Vault Copy Design works for me.  It does allow for a "Find & Replace" in both filenames and destination paths.  The one thing that does not seem to work well is the "ReplaceAll" button.... somtimes I have to hit replace for each instance.  Still a lot quicker than manually renaming every file, sub-assembly or path.

Message 3 of 4
shmartin89
in reply to: cbenner

Cheers Chris, That has worked fine.

I dont suppose you know of any way you call select all files for 'copy' rather then having to clikc on all the icons?

Cheers,

Sandy

Message 4 of 4
MegaJerk
in reply to: shmartin89

By holding the control key (ctrl) and left mouse clicking on a parent object, it should highlight all of the children. So if you knew that your assembly / part files were all being tied / displayed to a drawing in the list, you could use the command above on the drawing to highlight all of those children files.

If my solution worked or helped you out, please don't forget to hit the kudos button 🙂
iLogicCode Injector: goo.gl/uTT1IB

GitHub

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report