Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dumb question

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
Anonymous
832 Views, 15 Replies

Dumb question

Is thier a difference in the programs Inventor and Inventor fusion?  I have inventor fusion 2012 and I can open small files that were creatred in Inventor but when the file size gets close to 1000KB it crashes my program.  Any answers would be appreciated

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
karthur1
in reply to: Anonymous

Two totally different programs.

With Inventor you create the parts, assembly and the document (idw) files for the design.  You can create the parts in Fusion, but I dont think you can create assembllies or document drawings.

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: karthur1

So then while I can view simple parts with Inventor Fusion am I limited in viewing large assemblies? By the way thank you for the quick response Sam NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.
Message 4 of 16
karthur1

Not really sure about why it crashes the program. It "shouldn't" be doing that.  Of coarse, if you were opening a large file (100MB or so), it would depend on your hardware whether it would open it or not.

I have not used Fusion very much at all... Mostly Inventor.

Message 5 of 16
SBix26

Fusion can create assemblies, too.  But nothing like Inventor assemblies-- just as with parts, there isn't near the intelligence built into the model.  

I haven't yet found any important use for Fusion in our workflow, and it's not for lack of understanding- I went to several seminars at AU a year ago presented by Kevin Schneider, Mr. Fusion himself.

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 1
Windows XP Pro 32-bit, SP3
HP EliteBook 8730w; 4 GB RAM; Core™ 2 Duo T9400 2.53 GHz; Quadro FX2700M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.7.18
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Message 6 of 16
Cadmanto

Remember...there are no dumb questions, only dumb answers!!!!  Smiley Wink

Anyway, here is a link that might break it down more for you.

http://www.thecadmasters.com/wordpress/index.php/2011/03/24/inventor-vs-inventor-fusion/

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous

Thank you for your reply. My problem is that that I don't use Inventor or Inventor Fusion, I use Solidworks. When I try to open my clients Inventor files in Solidworks (which it should) I get an error message stating that I need to load Inventor 11 to open the files. So I assumed a compatibility issue between the versions of the programs. So I started to open the files using Fusion that I have, and could easily open the small files both part and assemblies. Then when I try to open any file with a size around 1000 KB it crashes the inventor program. By the way I have Fusion 2012, and the files I think were created in Inventor 2011 (assumption from the error prompt in Solidworks) is there a compatibility problem between the two versions? Sam Ellis Patent Illustrator Sam.Ellis@knobbe.com 949-721-2891 Direct Knobbe Martens INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY LAW five decades. one focus. 2040 Main Street, 14th Floor Irvine, CA 92614 www.knobbe.com NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: Cadmanto

Thank you NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.
Message 9 of 16
SBix26

Solidworks might be referring to Inventor version 11, which came out in 2006, I believe.  Inventor 2011 is version 15.

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 1
Windows XP Pro 32-bit, SP3
HP EliteBook 8730w; 4 GB RAM; Core™ 2 Duo T9400 2.53 GHz; Quadro FX2700M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.7.18
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Message 10 of 16
Cadmanto

Why don't you use e-drawings from Solidworks.  It is a free download.

If all you are trying to do is view or measure.  This is an easier way to go because this will

be compatible with Solidworks files.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 11 of 16
Anonymous

I need to convert the files to something I could use NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.
Message 12 of 16
Cadmanto

What version of Solidworks are we talking here?

I remember Solidworks being able to open Inventor files up directly just by changing the file type in the open dialog window.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous

Sw 2013 NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.
Message 14 of 16
rdyson

If Fusion is crashing and SW can't open it, there a chance the iam is corrupt. Is it one or several iam's?

PDSU 2016
Message 15 of 16
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:
 By the way I have Fusion 2012,

There is a later version of Fusion http://labs.autodesk.com
or

I recommend you sign up for the beta of Fusion 360 (search Google).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 16 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Thank you. All your information has been a big help NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report