Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drawing a workspace

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
RohanB
592 Views, 6 Replies

Drawing a workspace

Hi

I modelled a manipulator arm (much like a human arm, or for those who are industrailly sound, like KUKA KR5), and I intend to draw its workspace.

The easiest way to do this is if I go back from the endeffector joint(that is my wrist), create a rotation about my wrist rotation axis and create a curve, take this curve and sweep it about my elbow rotation axis to create an area, take this area and rotate about my shoulder axis to  create a volume and take this volume and rotate it about my torso axis to create another volume.

So my question is, is there any way I could do such a thing in Autodesk inventor? Or am I just kidding myself?

I am using Autodesk Inventor 2010.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Ryan.Martinez
in reply to: RohanB

Put some files up if you can and let everyone know what version of inventor you are using.

P.D.S. 2015
P.D.S. 2016
Message 3 of 7
RohanB
in reply to: Ryan.Martinez

I am using Autodesk inventor 2010.

Specificaly what files do you want? I have shoulder, arm, wrist etc assembled via  "insert" constraints. All rotational. Fairly simple.

Message 4 of 7
Ryan.Martinez

The assembly and parts, but one way to do it is figure out where your arm can move then create a soild to represent that space. Then disable that solid that way you wont be able to select it in the model space.

P.D.S. 2015
P.D.S. 2016
Message 5 of 7
RohanB
in reply to: Ryan.Martinez

I checked and I can't upload the files here.Smiley Sad But it is simple with 5 parts, and assembled via "insert" constraints.

I can somehow make a solid by rotating a curve, how do I make a solid by rotating a solid?

Message 6 of 7
Ryan.Martinez

I do not believe there is any way to do what you are talking about

P.D.S. 2015
P.D.S. 2016
Message 7 of 7
JDMather

Do you want the max volume space - or do you want to also exclude the area within the sphere that it cannot enter?

Extend all joint to their maximum extension.  This is the radius of the sphere.

Seems to me that a while back someone posted an example using Dynamic Simulation and Traces to do the actual path of the robot for this.  But I think that might be more than you are after if all you need is the sphere (cut off at the floor).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report