Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drawing Tools SDK Add-in

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
mies07
7536 Views, 13 Replies

Drawing Tools SDK Add-in

I cannot seem to install the SDK Drawing tools with Revision Cloud. When I click the msi file, the installer says it was successful, but I cannot find it on any INV ribbon and it is not shown in the list of available add-ins in Add-In Manager. Really need that revision cloud!

Inventor 2011, Win7 64bit.

I can load it on our Inv2011 32 bit WinXP machines, however.

Thanks

Mike

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
j.veeten
in reply to: mies07

Hi Mike,

Same problem over here. I also suspect it is the 64bit that causes it not to work. Maybe it's written in VBA.

But I have found the following solution. You have to install the updated 2010 version from this site:

http://blogs.rand.com/manufacturing/2010/02/windows-7-and-updated-sdk-for-inventor.html

You have to uninstall the 2011 version first. Then install this usertools.msi:

http://blogs.rand.com/files/usertools.msi

Then start AIS2011 and go to the add-ins. I had to load it there and the rev-cloud is working for me.

Hope Autodesk has working 64bit SDK's soon for 2011.

Beste Regards,

John

Message 3 of 14
bobvdd
in reply to: j.veeten

I don't think we have a good grasp yet on the cause or circumstances under which the problem occurs.

It is not as simple as saying that it only occurs on 64 bit machines becaus on my Vista 64 bit , the SDk tools install and run correctly. So there must be more than just 64 bit. 

In the meantime we logged it in our database with number 1316057 but in order to reproduce it on our side, we need more info.

A couple of questions:

- when you installed the tools, where you local admin to your machine?

- can you repair (or uninstall/reinstall)  the "Autodesk Inventor 2011 user tools" via the Microsoft Windows  Control Panel ?

- in the Inventor Add-in manager , do you see the following add-ins at all

• General tools
  • Drawing Tools
  • Assembly Bonus Tools (no longer part of the SDK, but checking anyway)

Thanks

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Principal UX designer DMG group
Message 4 of 14
jeanchile
in reply to: bobvdd

Found this old thread that no one had responded to so I will:

A couple of questions:

- when you installed the tools, where you local admin to your machine? YES

- can you repair (or uninstall/reinstall)  the "Autodesk Inventor 2011 user tools" via the Microsoft Windows  Control Panel ? YES BUT IT DOES NOTHING, AFTER IT RUNS I STILL HAVE NO TOOLS

- in the Inventor Add-in manager , do you see the following add-ins at all

• General tools NO
  • Drawing Tools NO
  • Assembly Bonus Tools (no longer part of the SDK, but checking anyway) YES

Inventor Professional
Message 5 of 14
jeanchile
in reply to: jeanchile

Has anyone heard of a solution for this yet? We only have two computers in the office running 2011 and both of them have this problem. I'm tired of opening every revised drawing in autocad to draw a stupid cloud.

Inventor Professional
Message 6 of 14
mflayler2

Did you register the add in directly after installation?

After you run the installer for the UserTools.msi you will see a User Tools folder created.  Open that and there should be a Drawing Tools folder.  Inside that is a RegisterDrawingTools exe in the Bin folder.  Run that and then restart Inventor.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 7 of 14
jeanchile
in reply to: mflayler2

Sorry, but I should have put that in my first post. Yes, I attempted that. The result is slightly different than when I did it on 2010. It only flashes the black command screen for a milisecond then nothing else (I remember something else on 2010 but it's been a while, I could be wrong). Either way it is still not working on both workstations.

Anything else I can try?

Inventor Professional
Message 8 of 14
mflayler2

Are you using the installer that came with the software or the installer I have uploaded on my blog?

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 9 of 14
jeanchile
in reply to: mflayler2

I have actually used both but I must admit I tried yours after I had already tried the one that came with the install. I don't know if that had an effect on the success of it, but neither one worked.

Inventor Professional
Message 10 of 14
jeanchile

This is the response I got to my support request regarding this issue."

"Thank you for choosing Autodesk Support.

I understand that when you try to register the Revision Cloud add-in it seems to complete but the add-in doesn't show up in Inventor.

Unfortunately, the SDK add-ins are not supported by Product Support. They are provided by the Autodesk Developers Network (ADN) and are supported by them.

You can find more information about ADN on our website at:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?id=1079044&siteID=123112

and can also post questions on the forums at:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor-Customization/bd-p/120

As a general recommendation, I'd suggest right clicking on the register file and selecting Run as Administrator. This is often necessary on Windows Vista and 7 to allow applications the permissions needed to make the intended changes."

Because I don't have a clue who is actually responsible for this I am going to try something over on the customizations forum. I thought I would post this here in case someone had something else I could try or just to provide info in case someone finds this in the future.

Inventor Professional
Message 11 of 14
jeanchile

I found a sequence that worked (with suggestions from someone on the customizations forum). It's in this thread here. Many thanks to all that posted/helped.

Inventor Professional
Message 12 of 14
Rich.O.3d

STUFF ME

What is the problem with some of the idiotic decisions that autodesk keep making!

Provide a drafting tool with revision tables and revison triangles, but the rev cloud is an SDK unsupported tool that just doesnt seem to want to install.

These posts have been banging on about this rubish for years and here we are in 2012 still not able to use basic drafting tools like adding a revcloud to a drawing.

Has anyone at autodesk got a solution to the nonworking sdk user tools for 2012

Inv2012 on XP64 (IT will be out of the dark ages later this year - bring on windows7)

CAD Management 101:
You can do it your own way,
If its done just how I say!
[Metallica:And Justice For All:1988]
Message 13 of 14
ajcraig99
in reply to: Rich.O.3d

love finding threads from 2010 while trying to solve a problem in Inventor 2015, Seems these things just get forgotten and never fixed...
Message 14 of 14
david_coulam

In my case, I was installing these tools on an admin profile with the checkbox for all users to be able to use the tools.  However, in some cases, the tools would still be available only on the admin profile.  I had to run the Inventor Reset Utility (after exporting the user's application options to a safe location) on the user profile before Inventor would recognize the Drawing Tools add-in.  After the new add-ins were working appropriately, I was able to import the user's settings again in Application Options.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report