Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drawing Annotation with a "text" linked to Item no.

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
CAD-One
2873 Views, 10 Replies

Drawing Annotation with a "text" linked to Item no.

In an assembly drawing, I created an annotation for list of quality control notes. I need to link a specific  "text "with a link to a Item Number.

If I for some reason change/renumber on the BOM the note in annotation should change.

Is this doable?

C1
Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD 2020
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
CAD-One
in reply to: CAD-One

Atleast, is there some ilogic to do this?
C1
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD 2020
Message 3 of 11
bobvdd

Would VBA also work for you? Code is attached.

As you have already discovered you cannot include the item number of the BOM in a drawing text or note.

The best that I can offer you is to store the item number as a unitless value in a user parameter in each component.

The caveat here is that the same component can be used in multiple assemblies and that even for the same assembly we can create multiple type of BOMS with different item numbers on teh same drawing.

That is the reason why I ask to provide a unique name for the parameter when the macro starts. You must reuse the same parameter name for the same parts list to make sure that the item numbers in your text follow.
The parametername has to respect the usual syntax limitations (no spaces, no special characters etc).

Open a drawing and select a parts list prior to running the macro. After the nacro has run, you will get parameters that you can insert in drawing text. Set the precision to obtain the right number of digits.

text dialog.JPG

Here is an example prior to renumbering items:

before.JPG

Here are the same items after they have been renumbered. Note that the text correctly follows  the renumbering.

after.JPG

Cheers

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Principal UX designer DMG group
Message 4 of 11
CAD-One

Bob,

Though this ia good solution.Thanks for trying this.

But unfortunately we dont want a VBA program solution. I think we will continue using the maual solution for now untill there is some enhancements to Inventor.

Thanks

C1

C1
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD 2020
Message 5 of 11
smetcalfUQ6PF

Just curious if there is a simpler solution to this yet? I see this was a topic from 2012 and maybe, 5 years later, something different is possible?? I have a weldment drawing and on each of the detailed pieces that go into the weldment, I'd like to have the view description also include the BOM item number as required. If I manually type it out, I run the risk of it not updating, should the weldment get revised in the future...this would also be true of an assembly. Thanks!!

Message 6 of 11
bobvdd
in reply to: smetcalfUQ6PF

5 years since I posted this workaround solution. Time flies.
I saw you cast your vote on the Ideastation to get a real solution for this problem of adding BOM item numbers to drawing text.
256 votes seems a pretty convincing number to consider implementing a solution...

Bob Van der Donck

Principal UX designer DMG group
Message 7 of 11
paulo.correia98ZAP
in reply to: bobvdd

More than 11 years and still waiting for a solution...

Message 8 of 11
e_frissell

@CGBenner  who would I need to hassle to get this feature in the next revision of 2024?  Seems like it is very easy to implement and would make a lot of users pretty happy

In SolidWorks you could be typing a note and add the balloon to the note by holding control and clicking the balloon.  Alternatively it let you do this https://blogs.solidworks.com/tech/2017/01/linking-note-tablebom-cell-solidworks-2017.html

Hopefully this helps give a good idea what we're looking for

Message 9 of 11
CGBenner

@e_frissell 

Consider applying to join the Feedback Community, if you haven't already.  There, under NDA, you can discuss things like potential future enhancements.  Nothing is ever guaranteed, but that would be a good place to make your voice heard... just remember the philosophy I used to get several of my ideas implemented when I was a user.... Diplomatic Persistence.  Nice goes a long way.....  Good luck! 🙂

Chris Benner
Industry Community Manager – Design & Manufacturing

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Also be generous with Likes!  Thank you and enjoy!

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider
Inventor/Beta Feedback Project
Message 10 of 11
e_frissell
in reply to: CGBenner

I may be known to have some boundary issues if I want something...

Thanks for letting me know, I'll try working that avenue

Message 11 of 11
johnsonshiue

Hi! As Chris alluded, this is something we are working on. Please sign up Inventor Feedback Community and try the the workflow on the latest internal build.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report