Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable Show My Home at Startup

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
wrath39
4874 Views, 11 Replies

Disable Show My Home at Startup

Hey guys,

I wouldn't be posting this if I couldn't find the answer and was hoping that someone could supply me with the answer or set me in the right direction.  I know this seems a little insignificant but I cannot stand the Homepage of Inventor and want to disable it.  I've already unchecked show my home at startup multiple times but every time i close the application and restart it the box is rechecked.  I've tried exporting the preferences and importing them but nothing seems to hold and this is the only field where this is a problem all other preferences will hold when changed.

Looking forward to your replies.

Thanks guys,

Brandon

Tags (1)
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
CCarreiras
in reply to: wrath39

Hi!

Have you in a "Administrator Account"?

Start Inventor "as administrator" and try again.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 3 of 12
pball
in reply to: CCarreiras

Also make note that you shouldn't change settings with more than one Inventor open. Not saying this is your issue but I've seen it happen a lot, done it myself also.
Message 4 of 12
mcgyvr
in reply to: pball

As sort of stated above..

Application Options not "sticking" or being saved/remembered is a sign of improper Windows permissions for that user. (hence the suggestion to log in as admin)

The user account you are using does not have the proper Windows persmissions to write changes to the registry.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 5 of 12
wrath39
in reply to: mcgyvr

Thanks for the replies guys, however; I have tried the above recommendations w/out other inventor windows open and still no luck.

I'm trying to figure it out, if it is a permissions issue I might try resetting the permissions.

If you have anymore ideas please let me know

Appreciate it,

Brandon

Message 6 of 12
mcgyvr

Its more than likely a permissions issue. 

Is this your personal computer/work/school?

I thought Inventor requires users to be at least a "power user".. not sure if Windows still has the access levels named like that anymore though.. 

But you need to have permissions to write to the registry. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 7 of 12
wrath39
in reply to: mcgyvr

mcgyvr,

This is a work computer that I am inheriting from the employee whom I am replacing.  This morning I created a new user using my microsoft account I have for windows 8.  The machine is currently running windows 8.1 and I am using autodesk suite 2015.  I have set my user account as an administrator to the machine and do have the ability to write to the registry (I just tried creating a regkey myself to test and was able to do so).

Hope this helps, I can give you a list of specs of the computer but I'm with you and believe this has something to do with permissions or at the least is a software related issue.

thanks,

Brandon

Message 8 of 12
johnsonshiue

Hi! I am sorry to hear your frustration about Homepage. If you do not like to see it on startup, go to Tools -> Application Options -> General -> uncheck "Show my home on startup" option -> OK. After that, Homepage should not appear on startup. If it still does, there could be some permission issue on the machine. Or, you can try changing the following registry key.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\Inventor\RegistryVersion19.0\System\Preferences\File

change the value of "ShowHomeBaseOnStartup" to 0.

In the meantime, do you have any suggestion to the Homepage so it would work better for you?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 12
wrath39
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Johnsonshiue,

This has resolved my issue the reg key did not exist.  After creating the 32bit key and changing the value to 0, I no longer have the home startup page.  I would assume that if I check or uncheck the box now in the Application Options that it would work.

As far as the suggestions go, I really do not know what to suggest.  I simply do not like startup screens I do the same with all other applications such as microsoft office and disable them immediately.  I already know what I want and where to get it... man of habit I suppose.

thank you all of you were very helpful.

Brandon

Message 10 of 12
john.devlin

Hello,

Does anyone know if there is a way to disable the homepage in Inventor 2020 Update 3.4 - Update 4 in the registry?  "ShowHomeBaseOnStartup" in Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Autodesk\Inventor\RegistryVersion24.0\System\Preferences\File doesn't seem to control this.

Message 11 of 12
johnsonshiue

Hi John,

This option has been moved to Application Options xml. Go to "C:\Users\**user name**\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\Inventor 2020"

and change the value of ShowHomeBaseOnStartup from to 1.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 12 of 12
john.devlin
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Thank you very much Johnson this worked!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report