Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable Level of Detail?

22 REPLIES 22
SOLVED
Message 1 of 23
Cadmanto
8497 Views, 22 Replies

Disable Level of Detail?

Is there a way to disable the level of detail?  I personally find this feature most annoying.

I am now starting to understand it after being tripped up by it early in my Inventor carrier.

But even now in understanding it more, I see no point in it.

The problem I have is I can have more then one level of detail in my model to show a specific way in my

one drawing.  Then this specific level of detail when changed for a different drawing will screw with the first drawing.

Why can't one just suppress certain items without having to worry about this.  Heck, isn't this what Iparts and iassemblies are for?

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

22 REPLIES 22
Message 21 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: jtylerbc

I used to use Solidworks back in the day, and from memory (I could be wrong), suppression in Solidworks is a kin to Inventors iAssemblies. Users who jump into Inventor and start suppressing parts usually don't realise that what they're actually after is Inventors iAssemblies and not Level Of Detail suppression.

This leads to the second problem; an Inventor assembly that's been mis-configured with multiple LODs at both top level and sub-level assemblies would be an absolute nightmare to navigate and correct. I'd advise against using Inventor LOD and suppression until you're absolutely 100% sure of what it does and what's it's for.

If you're using Inventor and you're suppressing parts without fully understanding LOD, stop yourself, then read up on both Level Of Detail and iAssemblies, because you're probably after the iAssembly functionality.

Cheers,

Karl

Tags (2)
Message 22 of 23
Cadmanto
in reply to: Anonymous

Karl,

As far as Solidworks goes you could suppress an item and it would remove it from memory, but it did not cause the same grief and confusion that LOD's cause in Inventor.

I get more now since I first started this thread on how the LOD's work, but they still have to be handled with care.

But you are correct in that when you start using LOD's in sub assemblies you have to know what you are doing.

We had our VAR in last week and he sat down with me and did some very good explaining and Like I said I have a better understanding of it.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 23 of 23
mrattray
in reply to: Cadmanto

I had a huge nightmare with LOD's as well coming from a SW background. You have to just accept that suppress in IV is something completely different from suppress in SW and that there is no real direct IV equivelent to SW's supress/ configuration functions. Sure there's iAssemblies, but that's really not the same thing either.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report