Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimension tool: Inconsistent functionality within my .idw (Inventor 2012)

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Diagnosys
655 Views, 3 Replies

Dimension tool: Inconsistent functionality within my .idw (Inventor 2012)

I placed a few views on various pages of my .idw file.  On the first page, the dimension tool works as expected, but it does not fo the rest of my drawing.  When the dimension tool is selected, no edges highlight in any of the remaining views. When the tool is not selected, edges highlight as expected.

My Setup:

-Edge Priority selected

-Each view has the same general settings in the drawing view dialog- and each view is of the same unit

-The only differences within the drawing view dialog are:

-Scales

-Orientations

-Positions (my model is an electro-mechanical fixture with "cover up" position and I use"master" as the cover down position)

I originally assumed the positional representations were the issue because I am teaching myself how to create them. But, I'm not sure how it could be them, because at least one of each position doesn't allow dimensioning. Also, I use a company template which has not been changed for quite some time.

I'm not positive this is even worth mentioning, but this model was originally a SolidWorks model which I imported.  Because a large majority of the components are affixed to the cover, I tried to cheat and only constrain the fixture box components itself (handles to the box) and the hinges, while grounding all of the cover components to save time.  I created positional representations for the hinge subassembly, and through those representations created the overrides for the before mentioned "master" and "cover up" in the min assembly. Because I cheated, when the cover is up in the assembly, the axes of couse skew since technically I am moving the fixture box instead of the cover- so when selecting the orientation for the view for my "cover up" position, I always had to use "current.'  Could this be linked at all?

Apologies for the wordiness... !  Has anyone run into this before, or have suggestions for further troubleshooting?

Many thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: Diagnosys

Attach files here that exhibit this behavior.

Using true dimension or projected dimension?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 4
Diagnosys
in reply to: JDMather

I am using a combination of both.

Regretfully I don't know how to post my file- my company uses the Vault for sharing internally, and I always convert to PDFs for the customer.  Being self-taught doesn't help either i'm sure...! What is the best way to post... wouldn't I also have to post my assembly for the .idw to display correctly?

Message 4 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: Diagnosys

File>Save As>Pack and Go.

Only need enough to demonstrat the behavior.

I would assume 2 of the ipt files, the iam and the idw.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report