Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimension in Sketch, driving me bonkers

30 REPLIES 30
Message 1 of 31
tommy-z
10412 Views, 30 Replies

Dimension in Sketch, driving me bonkers

Hi

Anyone know why the power that be have decided that dimensioning a reference-line is a nice feature?

I create (in a part) a new Sketch, use the "Project Geometry" to place, say, the X- and Y-axis and then draw a line on the Y-axis, from origo to somewhere half up the Y-axis.

I then want to dimension the length of the line, but for whatever unfathomable reason Inventor picks the projected Y-axis first, asking me to state the length of the axis, rather than the length of the drawn line.

It is annoying.

It is also totaly ridicolous, why would I need to, or indeed want to, dimension the length of one of my axes?

Axes are, by definition, infinite and therefor do not have any definable length.

Yes, I know that by pausing for half a second, and the using the wheel on my mouse, the drawn line offers itself to the dimension-command, but why is this not first choice?

Anyone?

30 REPLIES 30
Message 2 of 31
JDMather
in reply to: tommy-z

I never ever project the axis (I only project the origin center point, and actually Inventor does this work for me) but you don't have to wait for the select other - you can right click and get it immediately.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 31
tommy-z
in reply to: JDMather

Hi, thanks for a quick answer, which is - unfortunately - of limited use to me.

1) I always project whatever axes i can, makes subsequent changes to the sketch much more 'robust', i.e. it is 'safer' to constrain and dimension sketch lines and geometry to axes rather than projected countours of previous features.

2) I know that I can do stuff to overcome the design-flaw of the Dimension-function. The point is that I shouldn't have to - Autodesk should have corrected this errant behavior a long time ago.

Or, someone should explain, at least, why I (or anyone else) would want to dimension the length of an axis, since this is the default, first coice.

Message 4 of 31
JDMather

1. Sketches are just as robust constrained to the origin and I don't have to project anything - Inventor does it for me and my screen isn't cluttered up with projected axis (which I never have visible anyhow) and I don't experience the difficutly you describe in your original problem statement.  I only use projected geometry from solids or surfaces when required.  On most of my parts all of the geometry can be deleted leaving only the sketches with no sick projections. I can post examples to illustrate if needed - but it might be more useful to illustrate with one of your parts.  Can you attach an ipt file here?

2. You can suggest enhancments to the software at this link http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/idb-p/v1232

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 31
tommy-z

1) ???

2) ?

Message 6 of 31
Curtis_Waguespack

HI tommy-z,

I think that if you make those projected lines construction lines you'll be able to select lines sketched over them more easily. There's a tip at this link about setting up a keyboard shortcut for the Construction Line tool, so that you can easily toggle it on and off as you project geometry:

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/2011/04/winning-battle-with-projected-geometery.html

If you always project your axes, you might also consider projecting them in your template and saving your template so that they are projected in every new part you create.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 7 of 31

Hi JDMather,

The link you posted is for the Inventor ETO (Engineer To Order) Idea Station. I think you meant to post the link to the regular Inventor Idea Station:

Inventor IdeaStation

Share your ideas about how to improve Inventor with the Development Team.

I hope this helps.
Curtis

Message 8 of 31

@Curtis_Waguespack wrote:

Hi JDMather,

The link you posted is for the Inventor ETO (Engineer To Order) Idea Station. I think you meant to post the link to the regular Inventor Idea Station:

Inventor IdeaStation

Share your ideas about how to improve Inventor with the Development Team.

Thanks - I made correction to my original post.

Message 9 of 31
tommy-z
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Hi

Again, I do not wish to sound ungrateful og a sour puss, but neither of your suggestions relieves the initial problem.

Making the axes construction line may not always be preferable, dependant on what ever other function you have for the axes.

And anyway, just do not understand the need at all to dimensioning a reference line?

Message 10 of 31
JDMather

It sounds to me like you are describing a basic problem with how Inventor works.

The responders here are users (not Autodesk employees) offering alternative sketch technique suggestions.

If you wish to suggest an improvement to the software you should post at the (corrected) link suggested.

You might also sign up at this link http://beta.autodesk.com

Message 11 of 31
tommy-z

1. Sketches are just as robust constrained to the origin

If you by 'origin' means the 'Center Point' I'm not sure I follow you, you could not constrain anything angular, then?

2)  don't have to project anything - Inventor does it for me and my screen isn't cluttered up with projected axis (which I never have visible anyhow)

I do not undertand, is there a secret (for me at least) way to constrain lines and other geometry to the axes, other than projecting them and having them visible (and not having to pick them in the browser)?

Message 12 of 31
Curtis_Waguespack

@tommy-z wrote:

And anyway, I just do not understand the need at all to dimensioning a reference line?

We need to be able to select the projected axis the same as any other line, so that we can use it for other references. For instance in this illustraton the origin axes are being used to define the inside diameter of the revolved shape (4.5) and the distance from the top of the lip to the center of the part (12).

I hope this helps.
Curtis

Autodesk Inventor Dimension to Projected Axis.png

Message 13 of 31
JDMather

@tommy-z wrote:

1. If you by 'origin' means the 'Center Point' I'm not sure I follow you, you could not constrain anything angular, then?

2)  ) way to constrain lines and other geometry to the axes, other than projecting them and having them visible (and not having to pick them in the browser)?

1. add a construction line for angle dimensions - just like you are doing when you project the axis. (but without the difficulty you describe)
2. axis are horizontal or vertical - Inventor adds horizontal or vertical constraints for me, so I don't need the projected axis.

3.  I agree with you that dimension tool should select user created geometry with priority over projected geometry when they lay overtop of each other - that is why I presented link to make this suggestion to Autodesk.

Message 14 of 31
Curtis_Waguespack

@tommy-z wrote:

I do not undertand, is there a secret (for me at least) way to constrain lines and other geometry to the axes, other than projecting them and having them visible (and not having to pick them in the browser)?

HI tommy-z,

Many Inventor users just use the projected Origin Center Point for dimensioning to, rather than projecting the origin axes. Here's the same example as before but using only the origin point.

I hope this helps.
Curtis

Autodesk Inventor Dimension to Origin Point.png

Message 15 of 31
tommy-z

I'm afraid that you have misunderstood my grievance.

I was talking about controlling the length of a line drawn on top of one of the axes, from - say the 'Center Point' to somewhere half up the axis.

You have drawn lines and circles which all are placed away from the axes.

Message 16 of 31
tommy-z

"Here's the same example as before but using only the origin point."

Yes, but if you had to place your geometry at an angle to one of the axes, then you would need the axes in order to make an angular dimension.

Anyway, see my other reply, I'm exclusively bitching about lines drawn on top of porjected axes.

Message 17 of 31
Curtis_Waguespack

@tommy-z wrote:

I was talking about controlling the length of a line drawn on top of one of the axes, from - say the 'Center Point' to somewhere half up the axis.

HI tommy-z,

In that case I would start my line on the projected origin center point, and then just add a dimension to the line. I'm not seeing the need for the projected axis in your example, and therefore no need to draw a line on a projected line, unless of course you just want to do so, which is an acceptable reason, but you'll just need to use the Select Other tool or Construction Lines to select past the projected origin.

I hope this helps.
Curtis

Autodesk Inventor Projected Origin Point.png

Message 18 of 31
tommy-z

Sketch Projected Axes Dimension3.jpg

I'll try with a pic, althoug I'm not sure it shows correctly.

BTW, I changed - for clarity - the projected axes after i dimensioned it.

Message 19 of 31
Curtis_Waguespack

@tommy-z wrote:

Yes, but if you had to place your geometry at an angle to one of the axes, then you would need the axes in order to make an angular dimension.

HI tommy-z,

If you need an angled line then drawing an angled construction line as JDMather suggested would generally be the best approach.

I think you have a good understanding of how it works at this point. Often just knowing what the options are, will help as you go forward.

I hope this helps.
Curtis

Message 20 of 31
tommy-z

"but you'll just need to use the Select Other tool or Construction Lines to select past the projected origin."

Which brings us back to my original point: I do not think that I should have to do so, because the Dimension function should never pick the length of a projected axes, because that is a highly improper and irrelevant thing to do.

But enough, I'll try to post my frustration directly to the powers that be, and see if that brings me any luck.

Thanks for your interrest, anyway.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report