Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimension formats

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Scott_Stubbington
196 Views, 4 Replies

Dimension formats

Hello,
I've to recreate a load of tracings in IV, the drawings were created using Imperial measurements, however I'm to recreate them using a combination of both Metric and Imperial. I'm being lazy, cunning, whatever and modelling the part in Imperial and then my idw template is set to use Metric primarily with Imperial being the alternate units. I don't have much experience of using tolerances and there's alot of them.

When modelling the part, I've set the model tolerance to 4 decimal places. Now my current dimension style in my style sheet(I got there 🙂 )template is 3 decimal places for both measurement units, when I click on retrieve dimensions I end up with 4 decimal places on for my Metric dimensions and only three for the Imperial alternate units.

Why is the model overriding my dimensions style for the primary units and not the alternate units?

If the model is to override my dimension style then I'd at least like for the alternate dimensions to be overridden, i.e. my Imperially set part document to override the Imperial(alternate) dimensions within the drawing. Experience from an Inventor world cup defined that there were dimensional inaccuracies if using the wrong unit type, the part was modelled using Imperial, a measurement of 1" I put in as 25.4mm and produced the wrong volume by a really little amount. After changing the unit type to Imperial, I cannot remember if I changed the document units or changed the units of the measurement, however I achieved the correct volume.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Scott
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

.... oh dear, got it sorted, dirty great big message for a mistake on my behalf, sorry, it was a style sheet problem, object mapping.

Scott
Message 3 of 5

No it's not sorted, either way all linear dimensions come in according to one standard, mapped to one style according to the style sheet. But I'm seeing a range of styles when I retrieve model dimensions.

I'd like to click a button and know that all the styles in my style sheet are saved to the document, but I haven't found it yet, how do I do this, I'll post the files then. Maybe someone can then shed light on the situation.

Scott
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Scott_Stubbington

Hello, The problem parts are attached, the original question stands, why do retrieved model dimensions override the dimension style of style sheets? Will I have to manually RMB every dim in order to correct the problem? Thanks Scott
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Scott_Stubbington

Scott, I am afraid you will have to manually override the tolerance dimensions that you recovered from the model. Here is my understanding of the way this is designed. When you create an individual tolerance on a dimension in a part, Inventor considers this as an "override". When you bring that dimension into the drawing we respect that override. This means that the precision of the active dimension style does NOT get applied. This explains why you see a precision of 4 (from the model) and not 3 (from the style) for your tolerance dimension. We don't have the notion of alternate dimensions in a part document. My guess is that we simply use 3 as the default override for the precision of alternate dimensions when applied to recovered model tolerance dimensions. That value 3 is also independent from the precision settings for alternate units or alternate tolerance units in the active dimension style. Both the alternate and primary precisions on model tolerance dimensions need to be changed individually through the Tolerance... context menu. Bob "Scott Stubbington" wrote in message news:41121b3f_2@newsprd01... > Hello, > The problem parts are attached, the original question stands, why do > retrieved model dimensions override the dimension style of style sheets? > > Will I have to manually RMB every dim in order to correct the problem? > > Thanks > > Scott > > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report