Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimension Styles

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
m.granata
1323 Views, 6 Replies

Dimension Styles

Hello,

Is there a way to assign different dimension styles to different sheets in an idw.  I have idw drawings with several sheets and use a couple of different dimension styles depending on what is on each sheet.  I've created the dimension styles I want to use but I don't know how to assign a dimension style to a specific sheet.  For now what I am doing is dimensioning, then as needed for the dimensions that need a different style,  right click on the dimension and select new dimension style to changes its dimension style.  I would like to assign dimension styles to specific sheets, is there a way to do this?  Even though borders, title blocks, etc. are the same throughout the sheets, do I need to create different sheet formats to do this?

Thanks for any help to simplify this procedure. 

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Cadmanto
in reply to: m.granata

The short answer is "No"

Styles are a global thing.  Dimension styles can be saved specifically to a specific template, but not individual sheets.

I am sorry to say you are stuck doing what you ahve been doing.  I would set the style that you use the most as your default in the styles under "Object Default" settings.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 7
SBix26

@m.granata wrote:
For now what I am doing is dimensioning, then as needed for the dimensions that need a different style,  right click on the dimension and select new dimension style to changes its dimension style.

One simplification is to create your alternate styles and place them in the style library.  Then, instead of right clicking and selecting New Dimension Style for each one and editing the style, select all the dimensions needing an alternate style and just select the style from the list at the right end of the Annotate tab.

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 2
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
HP EliteBook 8770w; 8 GB RAM; Core™ i7-3720QM 2.60 GHz; Quadro K4000M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.16.2
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Message 4 of 7

Hi  m.granata,

To add to the other suggestions if you hold the Shift key and right-click you can choose Select All Inventor Dimensions, this will select all of the dimensions on the sheet, then you can choose another dimension style from the style pulldown on the Annotate tab.

Another setting that might help can be found by going to the Tools tab > Application Options button > Drawing tab, and looking or the Default Object Style setting. If you set this to Last Used, then when you want to create dimensions, you can click the Dimension button and then choose another dimension style from the style pulldown on the Annotate tab, and that style will come up the next time you use the Dimension tool. This setting only stays active for the current drawing and only until it is closed, then it reverts back to the style by standard the next time you open the drawing.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 5 of 7

Thanks for all the prompt replies.  This has been a bit of a pain.  I would have thought by release 2013 they would have accounted for this.  With any luck Inventor 2014 will have methods to do this.  For now, I think I'll try the method Curtis suggested.  It should help some.

Thanks everyone.

Message 6 of 7
khosking

I've been discussing this issue with another Inventor user recently, and I'm sorry to say that this limitation still exists in Inventor 2014 release. I can't even find a reputable workaround to this limitation either... although I'm still digging about and might turn something up.

So as it stands, a drawings "Active Standard" is only active for newly created drawing views. Previously created views associate with the "Active Standard" at the time of their creation and not the active standard that's currently active in the document, also known as "By Standard". Sure, you can flick each drawing element over to the desired standard one by one, but it would make tonnes more sense to have the simple workflow of selecting an out-of-date drawing view, set it to "By Standard (aka the current Active Standard)", then boom, it all updates with the desired changes.
Message 7 of 7
Cadmanto
in reply to: khosking

My suggestion would be to create an idea in the Inventor IdeaStation

linking this thread to it and try and see if this short coming can get implimented.

Then link the idea back in this thread.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report