Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimension Placement / updates

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
simmons01
403 Views, 5 Replies

Dimension Placement / updates

Is there a way to anchor dimensions to views so that when the size changes, the dimensions retain their

location in relation to the view?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: simmons01

I don't think so.

Message 3 of 6
ampster401

I do not know how it's done, but I believe thru the API or iLogic or VB can be used to do this.

I'm aware of my previous employer does this for some of their products but do not know the exact process involved.

Message 4 of 6
SBix26

Can you post some screen shots to illustrate?  To what part of a view should the dimension be anchored?  Center? Nearest edge?  Origin of the part/assembly shown in the view?

Like John, I don't think this can be done out of the box, but perhaps if you explained what you want to achieve, someone may already have figured out a solution.

Message 5 of 6
ampster401
in reply to: SBix26

the previous place I worked at has developed models and drawings that update with input from a spreadsheet.  The views placed in the idw's can be for something as little as a couple feet in length and height to something 40 feet long by 20 feet high.

Obviously dimensions on the views wont update their location when something changes in size so drastically.

They have developed some sort of routine, again, not sure if it's thru the API, VB or iLogic perhaps, which corrects the dimension placement and locations.

I ask what they did to solve this, but not sure they would be willing to share the exact code or whatever it is which does this.  But at least it would give you a possible solution.

Message 6 of 6
simmons01
in reply to: SBix26

Thanks for the responses guys.

To clarify, I'm modifiying an assembly and all its components using parameters from a spreadsheet. (drawings included)

I want to use these drawings for production/fabrication. These parts change in size but not really in complexity. I would

like to change these drawings parametrically without having to adjust the dimensions after update. Specifically, anchor the

dimensions to points on the view boundary, points on the part in view, etc....

I'm a former Unigraphics user and it could be done in that software. It was called GRIP. Have not found it here....

Scott

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report