Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimension Lines not visible

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
MDS-MQ
1638 Views, 6 Replies

Dimension Lines not visible

We resently upgraded to Inventor 2013 and since then we have been having an issue of dimension and leader lines being hidden under a text box or some other drawing entity.

This is very confusing since the text box does not have a white out associated with it, nore is there a way to put the test box to the back and dimension lines to the front...

It seems like our puppet masters that program this amassing tool where up to something and didn't quite get there.

IT sure would be nice (or an absolute requirement) that this gets fixed so I don't have to learn new hoops to jump through to get a quality drawing out of Inventor.

Thanks

Mike

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
jan.miskanin
in reply to: MDS-MQ

Hi Mike,

In Inv 2013, there was introduced clipping of geometry under the bounding box of text. This behavior is as designed.

You can try to change size of bounding box for text to minimum and manually update view, minimum/none geometry will be clipped.

Thanks,

Jan

clipping.png

Message 3 of 7
MDS-MQ
in reply to: jan.miskanin

Hi Jan

Thanks for the response. Too bad it was totally wrong.

I just installed SP 1.1 and the text box dose not hide any lines.

If this was done by design it was done poorly. It would be a nice option if there where a switch to turn on and off the white out and the white out removed all geometry not just dimension lines.

Oh, and when I shrinck my text box the test does a word wrap instead of staying in it's current location like you are showing.

Message 4 of 7
jan.miskanin

Hi Mike,

Do you have updated views in SP1.1?

About the switch, I will talk to developers about your request. Thanks for your contribution.

About wrapping of text, use smallest boundary box possible (smaller then first part of the text).

Thanks,

Jan

Message 5 of 7
MDS-MQ

Unfortunatly I spoke to soon in my last response. The dimension lines are still being removed by the text box. This is a terable feature. I am the one who desides what is getting blanked out on my drawing. Not some programer who has not produced a drawing in quite a number of years by the way this software has been developed.

Resizing the text box so that it is smaller then the smallest charactor is not a good solution since it makes it very difficult to layout an sort of sturcture in a test box that is not the size you want to work with on yuor drawing.

Attached is an example of what you are asking us to work with. Un-F_______ beleavable!

TEXT ISSUE.PNG

Message 6 of 7
jcstevens
in reply to: jan.miskanin

This issue also applys to the boundaries of text boxes clipping hatching as I described here.

While the work-around of reducing the boundary box to be narrower than 1 character works, this issue is totally unacceptable and needs be properly addressed.

I am not sure why you would intentionally design this behavior to clip important geometry for the sake of "white space" in a text box. At a minimum I think you need to give the user the ability to control which item is "on top"- either the text box or the surrounding geometry. Another option is to give the user the ability to turn the "fill" of the text box on/off and thus control rather or not the text box clips surrounding geometry.

To me, this seems to be a pretty important feature.

Message 7 of 7
bmullins
in reply to: jcstevens

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report