Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difficulty retrieving dimensions in Inventor drawing

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
aande050
2706 Views, 5 Replies

Difficulty retrieving dimensions in Inventor drawing

I created a sketch then tried to retrieve dimensions in a drawing from the sketch. When I used the retrieve function, no dimensions appeared. I made sure that the box in the Application Options under the Tools tab was checked for retrieving all dimensions upon placement. I have tried numerous ways to retrieve the dimensions, and while I can place them manually, I really need to be able to retrieve all at once as seen on the sketch. 

I have been able to use the retrieve function before on files that I downloaded from a website so I know to use the function. 

I'm attaching a file which I am having trouble retrieving dimensions. I am using Inventor 2013 educational version. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: aande050

@aande050 wrote:

Any help would be appreciated. 

I do not see any solid bodies from which to create a drawing view.

The sketch is not fully constrained and poorly constructed - ignoring obvious symmetry.

Start here http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/SkillsUSA%20University.pdf

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 6
MarianHelcman

Hi,

retrieving function is not supported for unconsumed sketches.

Just make an extrusion on your sketch to create the body and then place it to drawing. Retrieving function will work.

Best regards,

Marian

Message 4 of 6
aande050
in reply to: JDMather

I do not see any solid bodies from which to create a drawing view.

The sketch is not fully constrained and poorly constructed - ignoring obvious symmetry.

Start here http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/SkillsUSA%20University.pdf

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
------

I am in a class for this program currently, and the sketch was created from the step-by-step instructions in the Autodesk Inventor 2013 Plus book. If it is poorly constructed, please bring it up with the author of the book.

I have only been using this program for a month and was never told by teacher nor text that it had to be a solid body in order to retrieve dimensions. I appreciate that tip, however, I might recommend in the future that you work at using a less derisive tone as it may turn some off from your well-intentioned advice. 

Message 5 of 6
Ryan.Martinez

you should read JD's link. It is helpful for beginners... just my 2 cents. He is right about your sketch

P.D.S. 2015
P.D.S. 2016
Message 6 of 6
JDMather

@aande050 wrote:

step-by-step instructions in the Autodesk Inventor 2013 Plus book. If it is poorly constructed, please bring it up with the author of the book.

Who is the author of the book?  I will send the author an email.
It is a shame that the author apparently left out the dimensions locating those two arcs.  Someone should take away his keyboard.
I think prior releases would not even allow you to create a drawing view of a part with no solid or surface bodies.
The dialog box for Retrieve Dimensions does say to Select a Source of Features or Parts.
Retrieve Dimensions.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report