Inventor General

wtchan
Message 1 of 4 (143 Views)

Difficulties in Direct Manipulation Tutorial

143 Views, 3 Replies
11-05-2012 08:28 PM

I am having trouble teaching students the Direct Manipulation tutorial, specifically the following sections:

• Create a New Sketch
  • Project Geometry onto the Sketch Plane
  • Draw the Sketch Geometry
  • Mirror the Sketch
  • Extrude the Two Sketch Profiles

In "Create a New Sketch", I have trouble getting students to trace the curve; while I do know how to do this, I could not have them recreate the same steps. The trace just could not be done, and Inventor instead creates partial circles or tangential lines.

Even if they have managed to get through this section, they are stalled at "Extrude the Two Sketch Profiles"; the loop of lines could not be selected, and no discernible breaks in the loop can be seen.

The only solution that I have devised thus far is to restart this tutorial chapter from scratch, e.g. restore the default Application options and returning to the "About this Tutorial" section.

It is costing my students and I a lot of time.

I would like a closer look at this particular chapter in the Inventor tutorials, and perhaps a revision with more troubleshooting notes.

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 2 of 4 (131 Views)

Re: Difficulties in Direct Manipulation Tutorial

11-06-2012 03:50 AM in reply to: wtchan

wtchan wrote:

Even if they have managed to get through this section, they are stalled at "Extrude the Two Sketch Profiles"; the loop of lines could not be selected, and no discernible breaks in the loop can be seen.

The only solution that I have devised thus far is to restart this tutorial chapter from scratch, e.g. restore the default Application options and returning to the "About this Tutorial" section.

It would be better to find out what is being done incorrectly.
Attach ipt file here that will not extrude the profile.

Let me make a couple of guesses (since you didn't supply this information).

1. You are using Inventor 2010.
2. Constraint Persistence has been turned off.

3. Constraint Options turned off.

Attach file here.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
wtchan
Message 3 of 4 (99 Views)

11-06-2012 08:17 PM in reply to: wtchan

I am not using Inventor 2010.

But I have yet to come across those options that you mentioned. May I know how I can alter these?

wtchan
Message 4 of 4 (98 Views)

11-06-2012 08:18 PM in reply to: JDMather

Sorry, no file as of yet. I am having trouble recreating the problem; it does not happen all the time, but frequently enough to be a bother.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube