Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difficult request from boss. Need help!

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
WILLIAMF
610 Views, 17 Replies

Difficult request from boss. Need help!

Hi all,

My boss wants to give a gift to one of our good customers.

He asked me If I could create a 3-D  model of scripts letters that are all attached. He wants to mount it on a plack or something after its fabricated,  if that could be done.

The material would be rectanglar 6061 aluminum tubing tubing (part of our product)  that the customer uses and it's .280 x .140 with a wall thats .040.

That needs to bent into the shape of script letters and all connected. UGH!

I'm thinking 3-D sweep if I could create the path of the the letters. (not easy) and use the .280 x .140 as the profile.

But before that I need to create script letters so it looks like that font, I think.

Any ideas or help I would appreciate.

I thought tonight I would play with my new phone, not think about this.

Thanks for any help

Bill

Dell Precision 5820
Windows 10Pro
Quad Core Intel Xeon
32 Gb SDRam
NVIDIA Quadro
Product Design Suite 2019 Ultimate
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
karthur1
in reply to: WILLIAMF

Why 3D sweep.. might do it with in 2D?  Can you show us the font?

Message 3 of 18
WILLIAMF

Assume you had to right your first name (model it) in script letters using the profile size I mentioned.

Dell Precision 5820
Windows 10Pro
Quad Core Intel Xeon
32 Gb SDRam
NVIDIA Quadro
Message 4 of 18
WILLIAMF
in reply to: karthur1

O sorry, the inventor text (script) the first one (in the text font menu or any one would be fine. It does not have to be so precise just a guidline because it will be hard to MFG. I just need a starting point. Hope you understand what I'm trying to explain.

Dell Precision 5820
Windows 10Pro
Quad Core Intel Xeon
32 Gb SDRam
NVIDIA Quadro
Message 5 of 18
JDMather

Sweep is most likely going to give you trouble because of self-intersecting bodies.

I'm thinking Extrude and then Full Round or edge fillets to make it tubular.

This would be a bit of work - but I think certainly can be done.  How many letters?

All Cap or lowercase and cap?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 6 of 18
WILLIAMF

5 letters

the first a capital.

I'm going to try to convince the owner the amount of work this entails and make the companys logo ( 5 letters) as it should be.

Thanks JD

I knew this would be a great deal of work when I was tasked with this and if you agree (as a pro) I am not going to spend an enormous amount of time on this, especially when the tube bender gets something from me and says NO Quote.

LORAL  space systems is the company

5 letters

Thanks for your time.

Dell Precision 5820
Windows 10Pro
Quad Core Intel Xeon
32 Gb SDRam
NVIDIA Quadro
Message 7 of 18
WILLIAMF

And one other thing JD

It HAS to be rectangular waveguide (not tubular) thats the product we sell them for satellites.Not an easy task.

i was  thinkin I would tell the boss it cant be done and move on to the real work.

thanks again.

Dell Precision 5820
Windows 10Pro
Quad Core Intel Xeon
32 Gb SDRam
NVIDIA Quadro
Message 8 of 18
JDMather

After giving it a bit more thought - this might be relatively easy with Frame Generator.

I might give this one a bit of a shot as it sounds like an interesting project that I might do for myself.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 9 of 18
jdavis417

I love Inventor, but sometimes you just walk out to the shop and tell the guy with the actual, real-world skills what you want.Smiley LOL

Message 10 of 18
kmeldfreyssinet

Hi,

I can really exactly imagin what you have in mind in detail. How big dose this "logo" "sign" schould be? How big the letters?

and dimensins 0.14 ...... you mean metters or inch?

But to the point:

From my experience with such unusual modeling tasks in inventro I found out that it is not very flexible. It is good when one need to make something that is relativly easy to model using rather basic shapes.

In your case I would adcise you to prepare sweep path for your letters using dome other software, I propose Adobe Ilustrator. Than export this to some vector format dwg dxf and impiort to sketch (this is tricky because all constrains will drive your Inventor crazy, but assuming you will prepare path in desired shape and size just "fix" positions of all lines in sketch) There may be some problem with closing loop.

If you could post some files showing what you would like to achieve it would help much.

Regards,

Cris

Message 11 of 18
WILLIAMF

The letters look something like the attached, about an inch high.I need to model that using the .280 x .140 rectanglar profle.

Ha this should be fun!

Dell Precision 5820
Windows 10Pro
Quad Core Intel Xeon
32 Gb SDRam
NVIDIA Quadro
Message 12 of 18
JDMather

This is how I would create the 3D sketches.

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/Inventor%20Tutorials/Inventor%2011%20Tutorial%207.pdf

I estimate it would take me about 8 hrs to complete the project (unfortunately I don't have 8 hrs to spare, but I might be able to get at least one letter).

EESignature

Message 13 of 18
WILLIAMF

Thanks

I think a while back I did that tutorial but I'm rusty with this kind of modeling since there is no need for it here. i'll go thru it to refresh my skills.

One letter would be great to give me a starting point.

Dell Precision 5820
Windows 10Pro
Quad Core Intel Xeon
32 Gb SDRam
NVIDIA Quadro
Message 14 of 18
mpatchus

You could also try taking a straight length and use the bend tool to maniuplate it.

You obviously can't do the entire word with one continuous piece, but you could make multiple pieces which could be welded together.

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 15 of 18
WILLIAMF

Thats interesting and fairly simple idea. just need to plot the script font for the points so it looks like an L.

Thanks

Dell Precision 5820
Windows 10Pro
Quad Core Intel Xeon
32 Gb SDRam
NVIDIA Quadro
Message 16 of 18
machiel.veldkamp

Don't have enough time to fully explain but I hope you understand this methode:

More about that tomorrow (maybe)

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

the sweep cant intersect, it needs to below or above at the intersect point.

Thanks for the idea and time

Dell Precision 5820
Windows 10Pro
Quad Core Intel Xeon
32 Gb SDRam
NVIDIA Quadro
Message 18 of 18
4donwan4

Keeping on the theme of everyone's posts. Just something to consider and not sure if it applies here. A continious 3D path would not work for an upper case S in script as it self intersects. I would try to create each letter as a part file. Start a sketch by overlaying the script letter in the hieght you want. Then trace a 2D path around it. Then try sweeping that. Connect each letter with constraints in Assembly mode to get exact cuts to lining it up. Junst my two cents.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report