Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dialog box positioning problems

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
greg
412 Views, 4 Replies

Dialog box positioning problems

I have numerous dialog boxes not remembering last closed position. And worse, they are jumping to the upper left side of the main AIP window while I'm using them. (AIP maximized or windowed)

I've been having problems with dialog boxes as far back as I can remember, at least since AIP2008.

AIP2012 has become much worse with dialogs jumping to the left side of the main window while I'm using them.

Example:

While editing a part in sketch mode.

Open 'Edit Dimension' dialog. It shows up at the upper left side of the main AIP window.

I move it to another location ease of use. As I'm using it, it jumps back to the upper left side of the main AIP window.

The list of dialogs behaving this way are many.

Why is this happening?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
ampster402
in reply to: greg

not sure how to fix this, but is it possible you use dual monitors?  Am thinking it's trying to position the windows on the 2nd monitor but when it can not find it, they possibly behave as you are seeing it.

Message 3 of 5
greg

Thank you for your quick response.

I have 4 monitor system.

AIP main window on monitor 1

AIP browser & ribbon undocked and on monitor 2

Image below shows the iLogic dialog behaving while the Edit Sheet dialog behaving as I described in the original post.

Image3.jpg

Message 4 of 5
ampster402

4?  wow!  Do you experience any neck problems turning your head so much?!?!   just kidding.

something tells me this is related to the number of monitors, but I wouldn't know where to begin.

I recall yrs ago where Acad would work with multiple monitors, but not everything worked exactly like it should - some windows wouldn't stay docked correctly on a second monitor and IRC, the fix was to have an edge of the troublesome windows slightly on the default or main monitor.  Then those windows would hold their position.

Been yrs now since I used a dual monitor system, but am wondering if you do in fact have the main AIP window on monitor #1.  I remember in the Display Properties window in WinXP, on one of those tabs, there was a graphic representation of multiple monitors, and each one would have a number on it.  Not sure if that would be the same in Win7 or Vista.  But how have you confirmed AIP is on #1?

Sorry can't be of much assistance here.

Message 5 of 5
csmac2004

Hi there!

Did you ever get resolution to this problem? We're seeing similar results with dialogs not staying docked, although they are consistently coming back in the middle of the screen rather than jumping off entirely.

We are Windows 7, dual monitors. We've tried updating graphics drivers and even repairing Inventor to no avail (the dialogs were staying docked yesterday, this morning a driver update happened and now we're seeing these issues). Thanks!

Scott MacDonald
Inventor 2013 Product Design Suite
Vault Professional 2013
Windows7 x64
Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report