Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Determining a counterweight?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
jyager
669 Views, 4 Replies

Determining a counterweight?

Not sure if this is something I'm able to do in Inventor...

I have a "damper", it's more or less a diesel exhaust flapper type vent, that hangs upside down and is held in the horizontal/closed position by a counterweight.

Typically we would experiment in the shop with the counterweight quantity and the length of the arm required to get the proper operation of the damper/flapper in respect to the air/exhaust flow.

Since we know the axis along the shaft for the flapper and the weight of the flapper and it's bracket on the arm...is there a way to figure this out in Inventor? Obviously it still may need to be dialed in/tweaked...but I'm not sure if it's even possible.

Thanks!

Jason Yager
Inventor Professional 2023.2
Windows 10 Pro 21H2
Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10900X CPU @ 3.70GHz
32GB RAM
AMD Radeon Pro WX 3200 Series
3D Connexion SpaceMouse Pro
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
graemev
in reply to: jyager

Yes.  Check the iProperties; Physical tab, and update (if necessary) for a report on the mass, volume, etc.  There will be a set of values for each axis center of gravity.  I believe the distances are with respect to the top level origin point, so you may need to use the measuring tool to find the location of your pivot point.  After that, it's a pretty simple balance calculation.

Message 3 of 5
mrattray

If you're asking if Inventor can calculate the air flow pressure, then no. If you're asking if Inventor can tell you the mass properties of your part, then yes.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 4 of 5
JDMather

If you have Inventor Professional (with Dynamic Simulation) and you know ball-park figures for the pressure you could represent changing pressure in DS.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 5
jyager
in reply to: JDMather

I think more or less with this object it's how far out the counterweight would need to be away from the axis to JUST close the flap at no airflow. With any flow it should open proportionate to the volume of air. So I guess it's more an issue of balance than anything else.

I can calculate the mass and locate the CoG w/ Inventor...I guess the rest is on my end.

Jason Yager
Inventor Professional 2023.2
Windows 10 Pro 21H2
Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10900X CPU @ 3.70GHz
32GB RAM
AMD Radeon Pro WX 3200 Series
3D Connexion SpaceMouse Pro

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report