Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Determine Torsional Rigidity or Shear Modulus + Torsional Constant

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
sapayne
4372 Views, 9 Replies

Determine Torsional Rigidity or Shear Modulus + Torsional Constant

Hello,

I'm working on a project where I need to model a number of airfoils and determine their torsional stiffness. I'm looking at building foils out of various types and combinations of materials and need to determine how the torsional rigidity is affected by the use of different material in different sections of the foil cross section. Similarly, I'm investigating the impact of adding holes (void sections) to the foil interior, again with the goal of understanding the impact on torsional rigidity. I have been unable to figure out how to calculate torsional rigidity of solids in Inventor. If anyone knows how to do that I would appreciate the help.

Alternatively, I could calculate this value if I have access to the shear modulus (G) and torsional constant (J). From what I have read, Inventor determines G based on poisons ratio and youngs modulus. Can Inventor provide the effective youngs modulous for a composite foil? Also, is there any means of calculating the torsional constant or a cross section using Inventor?

Thank you for your help.
Shannon

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
sapayne
in reply to: sapayne

I have found that the best method thus far is to perform a static stress analysis with a known torque applied to one end of the member and the other end fixed. I measure the resultant angle and can then deduce torsional stiffness (the product of shear modulus and torsional constant GJ), as I know both applied torque and resultant twist.

Any thoughts are still appreciated.
Shannon

Message 3 of 10
CSHPL_TSV_01

I am having same problem with you. But I have no clue how you get the twist angle from a static stress analysis. I need to find the moment of area of a shape, but I couldn't found from stress analysis. Do let me know where to locate the twist angle. Thank you.

Message 4 of 10
sapayne

The angle of twist cannot be directly obtained as far as I can tell. However, if you create two working points in the model at known locations, you can use the results inquiry option to determine the location of each point before and after deformation. This allows you to determine the direction vector between the two points in both cases. The angle can then be deduced using the equation theta= acos(dot(d0,d1)/norm(d0)/norm(d1)) where do&di are the direction vectors before and after deformation.

The issue with using this method is that it assumes the the cross section does not warp. An alternative method is to implement a prescribed rotation through a remote load, which holds the face planar. However, using this method you cannot determine the neutral axis as the implementation of the remote load dictates the axis of rotation.

Hope that helps,
Shannon

Message 5 of 10
sapayne
in reply to: CSHPL_TSV_01

An advisor on here also recomended creating beam elements in the regions you are interested in. Beam elements (unlike bricks and tets) can display nodal rotation values. Once they are included, you can determine angle of twist by accessing Results Contours>Displacement>Rotation

Best of luck

Message 6 of 10
CSHPL_TSV_01

Okay, Thank you Shannon.

Message 7 of 10
henderh

There is another option to display nodal rotations within Stress Analysis by using Shell elements.

Shell elements are introduced R2013.  You can make a "dummy" Shell body at the tip of the airfoil, which won't contribute to the overall stiffness.  Display rotations as the result type.  At least this way, you won't have to calculate angles from the Probe's Cartesian coordinates.

Attached is a quick example.

Hope this helps...

Best regards, -Hugh

NG_rotations_shell.png

Hugh Henderson
QA Engineer (Fusion Simulation)
Message 8 of 10
sapayne
in reply to: henderh

Thank you Hugh

Could you please tell me how you're applying your moment in the figure shown?
At the moment I'm using a surface torque, but I'm considering other approaches and I'm intruiged by the forced displayed in your figure.

Thanks,
Shannon

Message 9 of 10
henderh

Hi Shannon,

A Force load can be applied to a face, edge or vertex.  In the example, I applied the force loads to two edges, and specified the direction of each by selecting a face (to capture it's outward normal).  Alternately, you can specify vector components of the force load.

If there are no edges available in your model,  you can create them by splitting the face (a modeling command) using a workplane, sketch, etc. as the Split tool.  This "split face method" is also handy if you need to localize a load to a portion of a face.

Thanks! -Hugh

Hugh Henderson
QA Engineer (Fusion Simulation)
Message 10 of 10
SYEDAFZAL3110
in reply to: henderh

Hello Henderh,

I have torsional stiffness of a body (2200 kN.m/rad) and i want to find the (T) torque or (phi) angle of twist of the body. 

any insight on how to find this?

From k = (T/Phi)

K= torsional stiffness (Given)

T=Torque (need to Figure out)

Phi: Angle of twist. (need to Figure out)

Dimensions of the model:

L =12.5 m; B= 2.65 m; H= 2.32 m.

mass m= 15000 kg; 

any help appreciated.

Actually i need to find Bending frequency of the model. If i have the above said quantities i can find the bending frequency.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report